Solved VSCodium (VSCode alternative)

I might be wrong but isn't the port building from source? The description is even "Visual Studio Code - Open Source ("Code - OSS")"

I haven't looked into it it my self yet (I did install via pkg and test it, but not building the port) but if so that it wouldn't have any MS telemetry stuff

Quoting from https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium#why-does-this-exist

When we [Microsoft] build Visual Studio Code, we do exactly this. We clone the vscode repository, we lay down a customized product.json that has Microsoft specific functionality (telemetry, gallery, logo, etc.), and then produce a build that we release under our license.
When you clone and build from the vscode repo, none of these endpoints are configured in the default product.json. Therefore, you generate a "clean" build, without the Microsoft customizations, which is by default licensed under the MIT license

VSCodium functions the same. There was a recent pull request on the project about designating a new extension portal that doesn't involve the microsoft marketplace. Seems like devs have a "let's focus on usage" mindset and a more neutral approach.

Citing the github page:
This is not a fork. This is a repository of scripts to automatically build Microsoft's vscode repository into freely-licensed binaries with a community-driven default configuration.
So, this is useless for FreeBSD, it's just a collection of custom-built binaries for Windows, Linux and OS X.
editors/vscode builds from source for FreeBSD, using devel/electron7. If you don't like the way it is built, you might want to suggest some port options. But beware, porting electron-based apps is a PITA.

Back