Solved Volumed && volumed-pulse not showing up in addons.

Has anyone else had this issue that the xfce4-goodies addons for volume control on a panel are not showing up in the selection box?

I installed from pkg, xfce4-goodies, then individually then from ports and still I am not seeing them in the selection box as it use to be, to select a volume control.

I'm using volumeicon for now.

It's off by default. Mainly because they depend on PulseAudio, a lot of people don't want to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Code:
     VOLUMEDPULSE=off: Volume management daemon for Xfce using PulseAudio
     MIXER=off: Volume control for the Xfce desktop
     VOLUMED=on: Volume management daemon for the Xfce desktop

It's off by default. Mainly because they depend on PulseAudio, a lot of people don't want to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Code:
     VOLUMEDPULSE=off: Volume management daemon for Xfce using PulseAudio
     MIXER=off: Volume control for the Xfce desktop
     VOLUMED=on: Volume management daemon for the Xfce desktop
I know pulse is not defacto in Freebsd and it takes reworking some stuff, It was just a last ditch attempt to get one of the xfce4 volume app plugins to work, because neither one works, doesn't show up in the plugin box where you select to add them to a panel.
Code:
userx@FreeBSD.net:~
$ sudo pkg search xfce4 | grep volume
xfce4-volumed-0.1.13_4         Volume management daemon for the Xfce desktop
xfce4-volumed-pulse-0.2.3_3    Volume management daemon for Xfce using PulseAudio

here is the "normal one"
Code:
$ sudo pkg info xfce4-volumed
xfce4-volumed-0.1.13_4
Name           : xfce4-volumed
Version        : 0.1.13_4
Installed on   : Fri Oct 25 07:18:27 2019 CDT
Origin         : deskutils/xfce4-volumed
Architecture   : FreeBSD:12:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : xfce deskutils
Licenses       : GPLv3
Maintainer     : sergey.dyatko@gmail.com
WWW            : https://launchpad.net/xfce4-volumed/
Comment        : Volume management daemon for the Xfce desktop
Shared Libs required:
    libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
    libpangoft2-1.0.so.0
    libnotify.so.4
    libgobject-2.0.so.0
    libglib-2.0.so.0
    libpango-1.0.so.0
    libfreetype.so.6
    libkeybinder.so.0
    libcairo.so.2
    libxml2.so.2
    libgstreamer-0.10.so.0
    libintl.so.8
    libatk-1.0.so.0
    libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
    libxfconf-0.so.3
    libgstbase-0.10.so.0
    libgmodule-2.0.so.0
    libgstaudio-0.10.so.0
    libgthread-2.0.so.0
    libfontconfig.so.1
    libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
    libgio-2.0.so.0
    libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
    libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0
Annotations    :
    FreeBSD_version: 1200086
Flat size      : 70.3KiB
Description    :
This daemon is responsible of making the volume up/down and mute keys of the
keyboard work automatically, and uses the Xfce mixer's defined card and track
for chosing which track to act on.

WWW: https://launchpad.net/xfce4-volumed/
yet, under 'add new items' in that box I don't see it anywhere. Nothing for volume whatsoever.
Code:
$ file /usr/local/bin/xfce4-volumed
/usr/local/bin/xfce4-volumed: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1, for FreeBSD 12.0 (1200086), FreeBSD-style, stripped

It's been a while since I used XFCE but I do believe it uses the 'standard' mixer from XFCE. You're probably going to need audio/xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin and audio/xfce4-mixer too.
I use it from time to time, and yeah I am googling "freebsd xfce troubleshooting xfce4-volumed" to see what I can come up with, but I believe that xfce4 had a volume control before it updated to the next version. that did not use pulse that is what the other one without the pulse tagged on the end was/is for.ah

MOD
ha just found this.. its description on ports
Code:
This daemon is responsible of making the volume up/down and mute keys of the keyboard 
work automatically, and uses the Xfce mixer's defined card and track for choosing which track to 
act on.
keyboard only?? I still remember having a volume control, might of been Linux for sure. but.. yeah let me research this some more....

but I beleive that xfce4 had a volume control before it updated to the next version.
As far as I can remember it has always depended on PulseAudio for it. But I could be confused with Gnome. I've stopped using them quite a while ago. Last Gnome I used was 2.something, never liked 3.x. Switched to XFCE for a while until that started to annoy me too.

Yeah I got it figured out now... maybe should be somehow taged as a default install along with xfce, because people got a turn up the volume! :D

Code:
This is xfce4-mixer, a volume control application for the Xfce Desktop Environment.
This software package contains both a volume control plugin for the Xfce Panel and a
standalone mixer application.

Installed the mixer and got a volume icon applet plugin xfce4 plugin now.

so looking back, yes to what you said. Just swap the audio/xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin with xfce4-volumed and xfce4-mixer . To get the standard what freeBSD uses for sound, to get the volume setup working with an icon on the panel to control the volume with the mouse (wheel).

Hi, I have a problem too with the Pulse Audio Plugin. I am unable to increase the volume more than the 100% mark. I used to use Debian but, there I was able to increase the volume more than 100% and get more out of the meager speakers I have on my laptop. I am unable to increase the volume of my mic above 100% as well. Please find the attached images to see what I mean by 100% volume and 100% mic.

My laptop is: Lenovo 100s 14-IBR, Model:80R9

I also get:
Code:
schroter@SCHROTER:~ % pulseaudio --version
W: [(null)] caps.c: Normally all extra capabilities would be dropped now, but that's impossible because PulseAudio was built without capabilities support.
pulseaudio 14.2

Thanks & Best Regards

Schroter

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-30_15-19-18.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-30_15-19-18.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20210830_155016087_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20210830_155016087_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I'm using audio/dsbmixer on all my systems with XFCE. Doesn't pull in pulseaudio and you can change the default device directly from the GUI plus It can kick pulseaudio when you change the default sound output because this "high end linux soundserver" still isn't capable of that without restarting...

Back