vmware

I installed emulators/vmware3, ran vmware-wizard, created the virtual machine, then when I try to run vmware I get the following error:

Setting TMPDIR=/var/tmp.
XIO: fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

A little bit more info:
uname -a:
FreeBSD (machinename) 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Dec 21 10:52:29 MST 2008 root@(machinename):/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FB2 i386

sysctl compat:
compat.linux.oss_version: 198144
compat.linux.osrelease: 2.6.16
compat.linux.osname: Linux

pkg_info | grep linux:
linux-atk-1.9.1 Accessibility Toolkit, Linux/i386 binary
linux-cairo-1.0.2 Linux cairo binary
linux-expat-1.95.8 Linux/i386 binary port of Expat XML-parsing library
linux-flashplugin-9.0r151 Adobe Flash Player NPAPI Plugin
linux-fontconfig-2.2.3_7 Linux/i386 binary of Fontconfig
linux-glib2-2.6.6_1 Version 2.X Linux/i386 binary port of GLib
linux-gtk2-2.6.10 GTK+ library, version 2.X, Linux binary
linux-jpeg-6b.34 RPM of the JPEG lib
linux-openmotif-2.2.4_2 Motif toolkit Linux libraries
linux-openssl-0.9.7f SSL and crypto library (Linux Version)
linux-pango-1.10.2 Linux pango binary
linux-png-1.2.8_2 RPM of the PNG lib
linux-tiff-3.7.1 TIFF library, Linux/i386 binary
linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5 Xorg libraries, linux binaries
linux_base-f8-8_9 Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for i386/amd64)
opera-linuxplugins-9.61.20081017 Linux plugin support for the native Opera browser

So, my question is... anyone ever gotten the above error, and how can I fix it? I'm using 7-STABLE and forced linux_base to f8 (as shown above).

Perhaps when I get a bit more time I should put linux_base back to fc4 and see if that helps any...

I'm using qemu, but wanted to try vmware just for fun. It's a single cpu/core system I'm using it on, so it doesn't matter about that.

I dunno if you would be able to get it working on 7.x series, propability 6.x is little more up to task to run vmware 3, you should check NetBSD which has Xen 3.3 or also check OpenSolaris with xVM (Xen) or VirtualBox 2.x.

Oh well, thanks anyways. I may try NetBSD sometime to try Xen, but don't feel like switching the OS on my workstation just now. So I'll stick with qemu and wait until FreeBSD introduces full Xen support then.

Some days ago I read a mail on the german bsd-questions list that it is possible to run VMWare 3 on FreeBSD 6.x and 7.x.

You can ask Hellmuth Michaelis (hm ATTT kts.org) what is needed to run it.

And please tell us afterwards! :)

Back