VMware shared folders

Anyone running a virtual FreeBSD via VMWare?
I have a guest FreeBSD and WinXP host.
Running the VM through VMWare and have installed vmware tools.
I enabled shared folders and try to mount the shared folders.
Cant find into the documentation explicitly stated, that this feature works for FreeBSD guest.
So according to the instructions I followed:
Permissions and Folder Mounting for Shared Folders on Linux Guests
When type:
Code:
mount -t vmhgfs .host:/ /home/user1/shares
I get:
Code:
mount: .host/ : Operation not supported by device

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I'm running FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE i386 on VMware Workstation 6.5.5 (Win7 x64) with working Share Folders feature.

I used the current port emulators/open-vm-tools-nox11. Including the use of shared folders in the virtual machine configuration, added a shared directory on the host, on the guest executed the mount command: [cmd=]mount -t vmhgfs .host: /mnt[/cmd] And you're done.

Hate to post to an old thread, but it comes up as one of the first results in a web search.
The mount command given above no longer works. The correct approach (tested in 11.1) is to run the following as root:

Bash:
pkg install open-vm-tools

SHARE_NAME=edit_as_needed
mkdir /mnt/${SHARE_NAME}
vmhgfs-fuse .host:/${SHARE_NAME} /mnt/${SHARE_NAME}

The above will only allow root access to the shared folder. To allow for other users add in the -o allow_other option, and if you want a user id:

Code:
vmhgfs-fuse -o allow_other -o uid=XXXX .host:/${SHARE_NAME} /mnt/${SHARE_NAME}

how to mount it in /etc/fstab?

Code:
.host:/ /mnt/share/ vmhgfs-fuse defaults,allow_other,uid=1000 0 0

it says 'Inappropriate file type or format'.

Try this:

/etc/fstab
Rich (BB code):
.host:/ /mnt/share/ vmhgfs mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,defaults,allow_other,uid=1000 0 0

From mount(8)
Code:
mountprog=<program>
             Force mount to use    the specified program to mount the
             file system, instead of calling nmount(2) directly.  For
             example:

mount -t foofs -o mountprog=/mydir/fooprog    /dev/cd0 /mnt

Does anyone solved this issue ? I'm not able to get it working. Seems to be a bug , but I don't know if this is related to freebsd or Vmware tools ?

Hello, I apologize for my English. I have a similar problem. Thanks to the information from this forum, I was able to partially advance in its solution.

I have:

Host - Win 7 64bit
Guest - FreeBSD 12.0 + KDE5
open-vm-tools 10.3.0_1,2 installed.

Two shared folders named [I]LShare[/I] and [I]HVideo[/I] have been created.

Create a directory (container) to mount the shared folders:

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/HostShare/

After running the command:

Code:
sudo vmhgfs-fuse -o allow_other -o uid=1001 .host:/ /mnt/HostShare

Code:
$ cd /mnt/HostShare
$ ls -l
total 32
drwxrwxrwx  1 vitaliy63  wheel  8192 10 окт.  08:53 HVideo
drwxrwxrwx  1 vitaliy63  wheel  8192 11 окт.  20:14 LShare

the [I]HostShare[/I] directory contains mounted shared folders and you can work with them.

Code:
$ mount
/dev/da0p2 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/da0p4 on /var (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
/dev/da0p5 on /tmp (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
/dev/da0p6 on /usr (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
/dev/fuse on /mnt/HostShare (fusefs, local, synchronous)

The problem is that to get the same thing using fstab.

I tried different options:

And so

Code:
.host:/ /mnt/HostShare/ vmhgfs-fuse defaults,allow_other,uid=1001 0 0

And so

Code:
.host:/ /mnt/HostShare/ vmhgfs mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,defaults,allow_other,uid=1001 0 0

And so

Code:
.host:/ /mnt/HostShare/ vmhgfs-fuse mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,defaults,allow_other,uid=1001 0 0

The result is the same-the [I]HostShare[/I] directory is empty.

How to make it work using the fstab?

Manual mouting with vmhgfs-fuse. Works for me as well, but if I try to mount fuse via fstab I'm getting an syntax error.

Do you get an error ?

I could only find fstab syntax for linux , but none of them are working :/ .

.host:/ /mnt/share/ vmhgfs mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,defaults,allow_other,uid=1000 0 0
.host:/ /mnt/HostShare/ vmhgfs-fuse mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,defaults,allow_other,uid=1000 0 0
To correct myself in post #7, set in /etc/fstab as FStype fuse:
Rich (BB code):
.host://mnt/HostShare/ fuse mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,defaults,allow_other,uid=1001
The uid=1001 is not necessary, unless the intention is to give explicitly to that user ownership, but with the allow_other option set, permission to read, write, execute is granted to everyone.

I tried:

Code:
.host://mnt/HostShare/ fuse mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,defaults,allow_other 0 0

But the HostShare directory is still empty. And in the process of restarting the screen among other lines runs an error message - fstab: /etc/fstab:8: Inappropriate file type or format.

My /etc/fstab

Code:
# Device    Mountpoint  FStype      Options     Dump  Pass#
/dev/da0p2  /           ufs   rw    1     1
/dev/da0p3  none        swap  sw    0     0
/dev/da0p4  /var        ufs   rw    2     2
/dev/da0p5  /tmp        ufs   rw    2     2
/dev/da0p6  /usr        ufs   rw    2     2
proc        /proc       procfs      rw    0     0
 .host:/           /mnt/HostShare/   fuse  mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,defaults,allow_other    0     0

Additional information:

Code:
$ vmhgfs-fuse -e

failed to open /proc/filesystems 2
failed to open /lib/modules/12.0-RELEASE-p10/modules.dep 2
SysCompatCheck: failed FUSE install checks
vmhgfs-fuse: 2 - HGFS FUSE client needs FUSE environment

Code:
$ kldstat

Id Refs Address                Size Name
 1   46 0xffffffff80200000  243d228 kernel
 2    1 0xffffffff8263f000    10c70 tmpfs.ko
 3    3 0xffffffff82650000     8a00 libiconv.ko
 4    1 0xffffffff82659000    16750 fuse.ko
 5    1 0xffffffff82670000     1108 cd9660_iconv.ko
 6    1 0xffffffff82672000     37f8 libmchain.ko
 7    1 0xffffffff82676000     1118 msdosfs_iconv.ko
 8    1 0xffffffff82b12000     27b0 vmmemctl.ko
 9    1 0xffffffff82b15000     23f0 vmxnet.ko
10    1 0xffffffff82b18000     2ed8 vmblock.ko
11    1 0xffffffff82b1b000     2678 intpm.ko
12    1 0xffffffff82b1e000      b10 smbus.ko
13    1 0xffffffff82b1f000     1800 uhid.ko
14    1 0xffffffff82b21000    39970 linux.ko
15    2 0xffffffff82b5b000     2e28 linux_common.ko
16    1 0xffffffff82b5e000    33c60 linux64.ko
17    1 0xffffffff82b92000      acf mac_ntpd.ko

Does it work for you T-Daemon ?

For me it does not.

Code:
.host:/ /mnt/ fuse mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,defaults,allow_other,uid=1001
/etc/fstab: 16 lines, 1223 characters.
# mount -a
fstab: /etc/fstab:16: Inappropriate file type or format

Code:
# vmhgfs-fuse -e
failed to open /proc/filesystems 2
failed to open /lib/modules/12.0-RELEASE-p10/modules.dep 2
SysCompatCheck: failed FUSE install checks
vmhgfs-fuse: 2 - HGFS FUSE client needs FUSE environment

Code:
uname -a
FreeBSD salty 12.0-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p10 GENERIC  amd64

When you mount the vmhgfs on system vmhgfs-fuse daemon keeps running. Due to this I'd avoid having this FS in /etc/fstab. IMO autofs is a better place to put it in.

On Linux it's pretty straight forward, my entry in /etc/auto.direct:
Bash:
/in    -fstype=fusefs,subtype=vmhgfs-fuse,allow_other .host:/incoming

On FreeBSD it's a problem because there's no mount_vmhgfs. There's mount_fusefs but it seems there's no option (that would be specified with -o) to specify subsystem, or in its naming convention: "fuse daemon".

The best I came up with is: mount_fusefs /dev/fuse /in vmhgfs-fuse .host:/incoming. Fuse daemon is specified after mount point. I was not able to specify these options in autofs map (or fstab for that matter).

I played around a bit more with this but failed to mount the share using /etc/fstab. But mountprog option does work with autofs:

/etc/auto.direct:
Code:
/in     -fstype=fusefs,mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse .host:/incoming

Can consider the problem from the other side? There is a working manual mount command –

Code:
sudo vmhgfs-fuse -o allow_other -o uid=1001 .host:/ /mnt/HostShare

But you have to enter it every time you log in. Maybe there is a way to shorten/speed up this process? For example, using aliases, scripts, etc.

I'm still just starting to learn FreeBSD and I haven't mastered many things yet. For example, regarding autofs.
How to use it in my case?

What does the incoming parameter in the string mean
Code:
/in     -fstype=fusefs,mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse .host:/incoming

and how does this link to my /mnt/HostShare?

And I don't have a file /etc/auto.direct

The example I showed is regarding my setup. incoming is my shared folder on host. /etc/auto.direct is one of the common maps used in autofs and needs to be created. As it was not concern of this thread I didn't show the whole configuration. I can if you want. But I did find a problem with this setup - once automount unmounts the share it doesn't automatically mounts it back. So I don't consider this as good enough solution.

Yes, you can put this into an official script, e.g. /etc/rc.local. You can read more about it in the rc(8) page. Create the file if it doesn't exist and put this there:

/etc/rc.local
Code:
/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse .host:/ /mnt/HostShare -o allow_other -o uid=1001
This share will be mounted during boot then. It's not what OP is asking, but it's certainly one way of doing it.

I used gdb and had little fun tracing mount around to see what's happening during mount. It was in fstabscan() where I saw the light.

If you insist to have it in fstab I strongly suggest you to use failok to avoid headaches during boot.
To have these shares in fstab you have to do this:

Code:
.host:/        /mnt/hgfs    fusefs  rw,mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,allow_other,failok 0 0

GVitaliy change the mountpoint to your desired location.

Thank you _martin . With your provided syntax I'm able to create the mount point inside fstab without any syntax error. But even with your provided syntax, mounting does not work without typing mount -a after a rebooting the vm.

Thank you _martin. for your help, finally everything worked. After entering a string in fstab:

Code:
.host:/        /mnt/HostShare    fusefs  rw,mountprog=/usr/local/bin/vmhgfs-fuse,allow_other,failok 0 0

I get:

Code:
$ cd /mnt/HostShare
$ ls -l
total 32
dr-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8192 13 окт.  17:01 HVideo
drwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  8192 14 окт.  19:58 LShare

But there are a few things –

I can see the difference in the permissions, but I understand it depends on the permissions on the host?

If I remove the file from LShare it is placed in the basket. And if then, opening the basket I choose restore option, I get an error message –

Code:
Mistake – Dolphin ?

Not enough free disk space to record
«file:///home/vitaliy63/.local/share/Trash/files/Лист Microsoft Excel.xlsx».

You can only be removed from the Recycle Bin.

Is it possible to somehow fix?

Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but I'm having the same problems and nothing in this thread has worked for me. I have FreeBSD 12.1 x64 running under VMware Workstation 15 Pro 15.5.1 build-15018445 , which is itself running on top of Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64-bit on an Intel NUC8i7BEH.

The manual fuse mount sort of "works" in that it doesn't initially fail, but, when I navigate to my "/mnt/freebsd-share" directory and do an ls I get an error about freebsd-share missing :

Code:
$ cd /mnt
$ ls
ls: freebsd-share: No such file or directory
$

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jdb2

jdb2 I've tested my solution now on
Code:
FreeBSD fbsd12i 12.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE r354233 GENERIC  i386
and it works just fine. I did the OS update from 12.0 VM I was using when I was helping here to solve the problem so I didn't have to change anything from configuration point of view.

Check for the same issues I've already mentioned in this thread (proper modules are loaded, config is ok,etc..).

Back