VM for FreeBSD

The underlying issue has nothing to do with FreeBSD. It affects every OS that Firefox 3.5 and 3.6 run on.

The only FreeBSD bit is the lack of an updated Java plugin.

Seriously, he never said the underlying issue has to do with FreeBSD. The fact of the matter is that when a user installs FreeBSD, updates to the latest ports, installs firefox and then java, they can spend a serious amount of time trying to get the plugin working before discovering what the problem is. You say it's a "known issue" but it's only known if you've encountered it and start researching it.

Adam

vermaden, I installed VBox on Win7 and installed FreeBSD/X11/Gnome/Java/Linux/Flash and the guest additions. First the positive: sound and flash videos do work. The negative is that it is so slow that it is barely usable. I *think* I set it up properly, with the guest additions (including the rc.conf line), and the modification to xorg.conf for the video driver (the vbox mouse driver did not work for me, even with the HAL code). Even the console feels turgid.

Maybe it works better on *nix than on Windows? Or there was a setup option I missed?

I diddled with the VBox settings a bit, and now it works OK. Not as snappy as Player, but at least everything works properly. I'll play with it for a bit to see if there are major issues. Already it has not shutdown properly a couple of times, requiring a fsck upon rebooting. Weird.

DrJ said:
vermaden, I installed VBox on Win7 and installed FreeBSD/X11/Gnome/Java/Linux/Flash and the guest additions. First the positive: sound and flash videos do work. The negative is that it is so slow that it is barely usable. I *think* I set it up properly, with the guest additions (including the rc.conf line), and the modification to xorg.conf for the video driver (the vbox mouse driver did not work for me, even with the HAL code). Even the console feels turgid.

I used it mostly 'the other way' with FreeBSD as a host system and various Windows/Linux/OpenSolaris guests (and that worked well).

Dunno how GNOME 'feels' about it, but I would try WITHOUT hald (but WITH dbus), to see if there is any improovement, personally I never use hald, and do not even enable dbus (it engages itself if its needed by some application), but I do not use full featured desktop environment, but only an OPENBOX window manager with apps that I need.

I mostly run text/terminal/server like FreeBSD under VirtualBox or only with very basic window manager, never tried to setup there a full DE or flash/java ... but as You say that there are some issues, I will try to check if I can fix some of them.

DrJ said:
Maybe it works better on *nix than on Windows? Or there was a setup option I missed?

I always enable all 'accelration' options, like AMD-V/Intel VT-x, Nested Pages, I/O APIC, PAE/NX and 3D for graphocs if it will be 'desktop like' system.

I think you are right about HAL, but Gnome depends on it pretty heavily. The reason I say this is that I came to the computer this morning, and the vbox window had frozen solid. A hard reboot later (and a manual fsck -- the file system claimed it was clean) xorg now freezes when loaded. And it locks the entire VM.

When it runs, though, the console is much, much quicker than it was before. So something changed, but I'm not sure what. lshal still displays its devices, and the expected daemons are running. Weird. I'm reinstalling xorg to see if something got corrupted.

Back