VLC HDMI no video

zxbxt

FreeBSD 12.0 When I watch a video through VLC on TV, I see a black screen, but audio work good. On the monitor, the video shows normal. What is the problem? TV connected via HDMI. Video card nvidia.

RedPhoenix

FreeBSD 12.0 When I watch a video through VLC on TV, I see a black screen, but audio work good. On the monitor, the video shows normal. What is the problem? TV connected via HDMI. Video card nvidia.
It could be that either you need a Driver from NVidia's Website (NVidia supporting FreeBSD, is quite a shock to me, given how proprietary they seem to be), or your particular GPU model isn't supported. You could alternatively make a Linux USB and test it there, to rule out any cross-platform issues, if they are indeed there. :) This could also help in determining if your GPU is bad or not. :) Also, nice Profile Pic! :) And welcome to the world of BSD. :D

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Video card nvidia.
Which driver are you using? This is, in essence, a dual-monitor set up and that only works if you use the x11/nvidia-driver (or one of the other 'legacy' versions).

Use misc/pastebinit to upload your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to Pastebin so we can see what's detected (or not).

OP
OP
zxbxt

zxbxt

thanks all who answered and helps me. I reinstall the nvidia driver, but vlc no works correct. But mpv or mplayer work fine.
install for my video card nvidia-driver-390. Xorg.0.log don't have errors.

OP
OP
zxbxt

zxbxt

Thanks i find it, run vlc --no-video-deco --no-embedded-video works fine!

toorski

This is how it works after correct pkg installation of nvidia-driver, nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings.

lumina-screens.pngnvidia-settings.pngfreebsd.png

Edit:
VLC shouldn't require any special config settings to play video in the 2-nd display, if other multimedia players work as intended, including motion video and sound in your web browser which should work as well.