Solved virtuoso service fails to start

In Thread kde-4-4-soprano-virtuoso.14260, which has now been closed, a user recently reported problems with Virtuoso asking for a virtuoso.ini file. There is a bug in databases/virtuoso which prevents Virtuoso from locating the ini file. I've submitted a patch for this in PR 194608 but it's still waiting for triage. As a workaround until the port is fixed you can add the following line to /etc/rc.conf.
Code:
virtuoso_config="/usr/local/lib/virtuoso/db/virtuoso.ini"

Hello rawthey, I do what you suggest but nothing happens.

Code:
# uname -r
10.1-RELEASE
# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep virtuoso
virtuoso_enable="YES"
# service virtuoso status
virtuoso is not running.
# service virtuoso start
Starting virtuoso.
virtuoso is not running.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Hello rawthey, I do what you suggest but nothing happens.

Code:
# uname -r
10.1-RELEASE
# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep virtuoso
virtuoso_enable="YES"
virtuoso is not running.
# service virtuoso start
Starting virtuoso.
virtuoso is not running.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like your problem is caused by something different. My patch would only be relevant for the case where the Virtuoso service fails to start with error message
Code:
There is no configuration file db/virtuoso.ini
If you don't see this on your console or your logs then there's something else causing the problem though you might see other error messages there which might give a clue.

After re-installing packages from scratch I came across the same problem of virtuoso silently failing to start. It turned out that /usr/local/lib/virtuoso/db and some of its contents had ended up with the wrong ownership. Things started working OK after I set them to virtuoso:virtuoso

After re-installing packages from scratch I came across the same problem of virtuoso silently failing to start. It turned out that /usr/local/lib/virtuoso/db and some of its contents had ended up with the wrong ownership. Things started working OK after I set them to virtuoso:virtuoso

Right now, my heart belongs to you :D . Virtuoso is running!!

Since we are here, let me make you another question. When I tag a file with an existing or new tag , the file is tagged without problem. But I can not remove that tag from the file. Do you know something about it?.

For example, this is the Dolphin output when I want to remove a tag from the file firefox.core
Code:
dolphin(1419): "/home/error/firefox.core" "user.xdg.tags" "" Error: "NOT NULL constraint failed: files.value Unable to fetch row"

A Baloo problem: while Baloo seems to be running, the indexation process is not working.

Code:
>balooctl status
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexed 1710 / 205389 files
Failed to index 0 files
5 files not accounted for

Like you see, I have more than 200000 files waiting to be indexed, but nothing happens.

Thanks for your time!

Right now, my heart belongs to you :D . Virtuoso is running!!

Since we are here, let me make you another question. When I tag a file with an existing or new tag , the file is tagged without problem. But I can not remove that tag from the file. Do you know something about it?.

For example, this is the Dolphin output when I want to remove a tag from the file firefox.core
Code:
dolphin(1419): "/home/error/firefox.core" "user.xdg.tags" "" Error: "NOT NULL constraint failed: files.value Unable to fetch row"

No ideas on that one. I'm no KDE expert, I was just lucky that a bit of inspired guesswork did the trick in the previous case.

You'd be much better off raising your problem in a new thread, either here or in one of the the KDE forums. That way it's more likely to be spotted by someone with an interest in that subject.

A Baloo problem: while Baloo seems to be running, the indexation process is not working.

Code:
>balooctl status
Indexed 1710 / 205389 files
Failed to index 0 files
5 files not accounted for

Like you see, I have more than 200000 files waiting to be indexed, but nothing happens.

Thanks for your time!

I'm no expert on that one either. I've often found KDE's desktop search to be problematic and rarely managed to make use it. In fact I hadn't even realised that nepomuk had been replaced by baloo until I saw this. So I took a look and discovered that desktop search (which I'd only managed to get working after upgrading to KDE 4.12) is broken again after upgrading to 4.14 and only a few files have been indexed.
Code:
curlew:/home/mike% balooctl status
Indexed 1078 / 20577 files
Failed to index 0 files
A couple of thoughts spring to mind but might be totally irrelevant.
  1. Nepomuk has apparently been superseded by baloo but some KDE packages still have dependencies on nepomuk
    Code:
    curlew:/home/mike% pkg info -xr nepomuk
    nepomuk-core-4.14.2_1:
      kactivities-4.13.3
      kactivitymanagerd-4.13.3
      kde-workspace-4.11.13_1
      nepomuk-widgets-4.14.2
      kget-4.14.2
      kdepim-runtime-4.14.2
      kde-runtime-4.14.2_2
      kde-baseapps-4.14.2
    nepomuk-widgets-4.14.2:
      kget-4.14.2
      kde-baseapps-4.14.2
      kdepim-4.14.2_1
    Perhaps there's some conflict here

2. ~/.kde4/share/config/baloorc contains the following:
    Code:
    [Akonadi]
    agentIndexingVersion=4
    initialIndexingDone=true
    lastItem=2014,12,21,13,53,2
    This is totally different from what the KDE Community Wiki suggests.
I came across a similar problem of partial indexing on the KDE forum so I've added my problem there but there's no reply yet.

No ideas on that one. I'm no KDE expert, I was just lucky that a bit of inspired guesswork did the trick in the previous case.

You'd be much better off raising your problem in a new thread, either here or in one of the the KDE forums. That way it's more likely to be spotted by someone with an interest in that subject.

I will use the KDE forum for this issue.

I'm no expert on that one either. I've often found KDE's desktop search to be problematic and rarely managed to make use it. In fact I hadn't even realized that nepomuk had been replaced by baloo until I saw this. So I took a look and discovered that desktop search (which I'd only managed to get working after upgrading to KDE 4.12) is broken again after upgrading to 4.14 and only a few files have been indexed.
Code:
curlew:/home/mike% balooctl status
Indexed 1078 / 20577 files
Failed to index 0 files

I am sorry to know about that, It seems I am not the only one :-/.

~/.kde4/share/config/baloorc contains the following:
Code:
[Akonadi]
agentIndexingVersion=4
initialIndexingDone=true
lastItem=2014,12,21,13,53,2
This is totally different from what the KDE Community Wiki suggests.

I think the file named on KDE forum is baloofilerc, not baloorc.

I came across a similar problem of partial indexing on the KDE forum so I've added my problem there but there's no reply yet.

I will keep my eye on it,.

rawthey, let me thank you again for your answers and your time. Have a nice day!.

I will use the KDE forum for this issue.

I am sorry to know about that, It seems I am not the only one :-/.

I think the file named on KDE forum is baloofilerc, not baloorc.

I will keep my eye on it,.

rawthey, let me thank you again for your answers and your time. Have a nice day!.

In ~/.kde4/share/config are baloofilerc and baloorc and what rawthey wrote I have in baloorc.

Back