virtualbox-ose-additions not resizing the window with VirtualBox 7

Hello,
with the current virtualbox-ose-additions (6.1.50) the Xorg is stuck with 2 resolution: 1024x768 and 800x600 and cannot be resize like before (or under Linux). Any idea if it's because the "additions" are old (6 vs 7) or I have to do something?

It should work with Virtualbox 7 on the host and the 6.x additions in the guest. I have this working just fine.

Xorg is stuck with 2 resolution: 1024x768 and 800x600
Are you sure it's using the vboxvideo driver?

For the automatic resizing to work you need to run VBoxClient --display. Without it it won't dynamically adjust the resolution if you resize the Vbox window. You will still be able to change the resolution with xrandr(1) though.

It should work with Virtualbox 7 on the host and the 6.x additions in the guest. I have this working just fine.

Are you sure it's using the vboxvideo driver?
I'm not sure. Everything is set to auto. I get this in the log:
Code:
[     8.992] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     8.992]    compiled for 1.21.1.11, module version = 1.0.0
[     8.992]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
[     8.992] (II) Loading sub module "int10"
[     8.992] (II) LoadModule: "int10"
[     8.992] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
[     8.992] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     8.992]    compiled for 1.21.1.11, module version = 1.0.0
[     8.992]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 25.2
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 2.0
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 131072 kB
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: VirtualBox VESA BIOS
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 0.3
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: Oracle and/or its affiliates
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: Oracle VM VirtualBox VBE Adapter
[     8.992] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Oracle VM VirtualBox Version 7.0.14
[     9.017] (II) VESA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
Isn't vboxvideo part of the virtualbox-ose-additions-6.1.50 or I need to install something else to detect it ?
VBoxClient --display is not running nor it changes anything (currently).

I think I found the problem. I had to switch to VBoxSVGA but then I get this warring:
1708962882350.png

So I guess the recommended one is a no go if we want the vboxvideo working.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction !

Yeah, it defaults to VMSVGA, but that one doesn't work. No idea why they keep pushing it. Both VBoxSVGA and VBoxVGA should work (never understood why there's two or what the differences, if any, between them are).

Yeah, it defaults to VMSVGA, but that one doesn't work. No idea why they keep pushing it. Both VBoxSVGA and VBoxVGA should work (never understood why there's two or what the differences, if any, between them are).
Something is really strange.
For Windows it's recommended VBoxSVGA + 3D, for Linux it's VMSVGA + 3D but if I enable 3D for FreeBSD it forces a switch from VBoxSVGA to VMSVGA (while it works for Windows). And under FreeBSD this is what is started /usr/local/bin/VBoxClient --vmsvga. So I guess under FreeBSD it should be VMSVGA (for some reason) but it's not being detected by Xorg (for some reason).

Something is really strange.
For Windows it's recommended VBoxSVGA + 3D, for Linux it's VMSVGA + 3D but if I enable 3D for FreeBSD it forces a switch from VBoxSVGA to VMSVGA (while it works for Windows). And under FreeBSD this is what is started /usr/local/bin/VBoxClient --vmsvga. So I guess under FreeBSD it should be VMSVGA (for some reason) but it's not being detected by Xorg (for some reason).

Should be VBoxSVGA.

Make sure you have the services enabled in /etc/rc.conf in the guest (assuming you have a FreeBSD guest and some other OS as host

vboxguest_enable="YES"
vboxservice_enable="YES"

Back