vbox Virtualbox additions black-screen

… The kernel panic is coming from VBoxSVGA …

Not so. Kernel panics (FreeBSD bug 254412) are very easily reproducible with VMSVGA.

Please set the guest to VBoxSVGA, and no more than one processor, before it boots.

… guest additions still not working …

Guest additions will not work properly with VMSVGA.

Please set the guest to VBoxSVGA.

Thanks

What do you mean by "guest additions still not working"?
The Guest Additions offer the following features:
• Mouse pointer integration.
• Shared folders.
• Better video support.
• Seamless windows.
• Generic host/guest communication channels.
• Time synchronization.
• Shared clipboard.
• Automated logins.

Only mouse point integration works.

VMSVGA or VBoxSVGA?
View attachment 10284
virtualbox-ose-additions or virtualbox-ose-additions-legacy?

Which version of FreeBSD, exactly?

freebsd-version -kru

Packages from quarterly, or from latest?

grep url /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
since legacy did not help much I am back on virtualbox-ose-additions-6.1.18_1

very good point! I just wanted to ask because:

1624560689799.png

your question:

1624561157547.png

Well, you list the features. Are they all mandatory?

You need to enable some of them in the VM settings.
"Better video support" is vague. You have more or less the same with VMSVGA.
I never succeeded to make the shared folder works (and who cares? You can install samba).
"Automated login" doesn't seem to be a feature of virtualbox-ose-additions.

What is the result of: service vboxservice status (root user)?

I think you blame virtualbox additions just because, at first try, they don't get you all you want.

Well, you list the features. Are they all mandatory?

You need to enable some of them in the VM settings.
"Better video support" is vague. You have more or less the same with VMSVGA.
I never succeeded to make the shared folder works (and who cares? You can install samba).
"Automated login" doesn't seem to be a feature of virtualbox-ose-additions.

What is the result of: service vboxservice status (root user)?

I think you blame virtualbox additions just because, at first try, they don't get you all you want.
Of course not, I would not expect to have all features and obviously I do need only resizing and shared folders. I just wanted to compare and find out if you have the same issues. I am not blaming anything, I am here to share my 2 weeks experience with UNIX-like OS's. Definitely FreeBSD is a infinitely more features rich OS than Linux-based distros that's why I am here: to learn something quite bit different. I have installed Oracle Solaris, OpenBSD and FreeBSD and I need in a couple of months one candidate to replace my Ubuntu or Archlinux. I can not give up until I exhausted all resources and the next step probably if I will not getting going, I will fresh install FreeBSD; sometime little things helps :). I had it for more than a year as a VMbox guest (I will like to explore on VMWare/AQUEMU) but not much time to spend till now. (Actually I waited 20 years times goes quicker than we think). I enjoyed a lot and you guys are awesome. I am wrapped up for a mini vacation I will post <service vboxservice status> soon but as far as I remember I posted previously and it was loaded successfully in legacy version.

Back