vbox Virtualbox additions black-screen

Hi,

I installed as per handbook specifications but new kernel is not cooperating :)
Vboxservice is loaded but upon authentication black screen.
/etc/rc.conf:
Code:
vboxservice_enable="YES"
vboxguest enable="YES"
and:
Code:
vboxservice_flags="--disable-timesync"

Any hints are much appreciated!
Thanks!

vboxguest enable="YES"
It lacks an underscore between "vboxguest" and "enable". Maybe this is a typo just here.

If nothing works, try to delete virtualbox-ose-additions and install virtualbox-ose-additions-legacy instead.

vboxguest enable="YES"
It lacks an underscore between "vboxguest" and "enable". Maybe this is a typo just here.

If nothing works, try to delete virtualbox-ose-additions and install virtualbox-ose-additions-legacy instead.
I will check the typo, you're right! and legacy could be an option thx! :)

It's not a new rebuilt kernel either. It's just a module that can be loaded into an existing kernel. Nothing more.
thanks! I don't know why I thought the kernel will be rebuilt when the new modules are loaded. In my case module was not loaded.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

When you get more knowledge the magic kind of disappears ;)

Set the guest to use VBoxSVGA before booting.

Start once in safe mode, log in, then restart in normal mode.

Re: <https://www.freshports.org/emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions/#message> did you add the user to the wheel group? This is not mentioned in the FreeBSD Handbook.

… per handbook specifications

It's outdated. Ignore the HAL section; HAL was retired months ago.

If you made changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, probably undo them.

… authentication …

Which display manager? Which desktop environment?

the user is in the wheel
DM = XDM
DE = XFCE

I do not have /etc/X11/ folder ?!

I change to VBoxSVGA and safe boot enable but run into dumping and keep rebooting itself :)

Screenshot_2021-06-23_15-40-59.png

… dumping and keep rebooting …

We can't see the top lines for the thread that panics first, but this is probably FreeBSD bug 254412 – emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions - Boot time crash - Sleeping thread owns a non-sleepable lock
  • in your case, probably coincidental
  • I never produced the panic in safe mode
  • any one panic in normal mode might be followed by any number of panics in normal mode, feeling like loop.
You can probably avoid these kernel panics by limiting the guest to a single processor.

If you get a panic in safe mode, or whilst limited to a single processor in normal mode:
  1. install devel/gdb
  2. sync
  3. restart
– then the next /var/crash/core.txt.⋯ file will include both backtraces.

Unless I'm mistaking, Xorg has its settings in /usr/local/etc/X11/ not in /etc/X11/.
It might not even be relevant, but it might, and couldn't hurt to ask. I actually checked and found that the /etc/X11/ directory is present right after a fresh install of FreeBSD-13.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img even before anything else is installed.

vboxguest enable="YES"

I tried legacy, no black screen, the module is loaded but still guest-additions are not enabled.

1624546849791.png

I should not expect legacy to work reliably. No longer supported by Oracle; any number of issues might arise, eventually.

Try:
  1. re-install emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions (this should automatically delete emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions-legacy)
  2. shut down
  3. set the guest to VBoxSVGA
  4. set the guest to one processor
  5. start the guest in single user mode
  6. service zfs start
  7. mount -uw /
  8. ee /usr/home/lattimro/.xinitrc (assuming that lattimro is your username on the system)
  9. have the four lines below (nothing else) in your .xinitrc
  10. sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf xdm_enable="NO"
  11. exit (to multi-user mode)
  12. login as yourself, not as root
  13. sudo pkg install bash xorg
  14. startx
A simple .xinitrc

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/twm &
sleep 1
exec xterm

Last edited:
I should not expect legacy to work reliably. No longer supported by Oracle; any number of issues might arise, eventually.

Try:
  1. re-install emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions (this should automatically delete emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions-legacy)
  2. shut down
  6. service zfs start
  7. ee /usr/home/lattimro/.xinitrc (assuming that lattimro is your username on the system)
  8. have the four lines below (nothing else) in your .xinitrc
  9. sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf xdm_enable="NO"
  10. exit (to multi-user mode)
  11. login as yourself, not as root
  12. sudo pkg install bash xorg
  13. startx
A simple .xinitrc

Code:
!/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/twm &
sleep 1
exec xterm
The legacy additions work well for the moment which is not always the case of the current ones.

I have to say I don't understand the utility of this procedure. You need to be in single user mode to edit .xinitrc or change a line in rc.conf?? Why bash?

Note that you assume sudo is installed.

Try:
  2. shut down
  6. service zfs start
  7. ee /usr/home/lattimro/.xinitrc (assuming that lattimro is your username on the system)
  8. have the four lines below (nothing else) in your .xinitrc
  9. sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf xdm_enable="NO"
  10. exit (to multi-user mode)
  11. login as yourself, not as root
  12. sudo pkg install bash xorg
  13. startx
A simple .xinitrc

Code:
!/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/twm &
sleep 1
exec xterm
I have to wait because is dumping ... Before I read your reply I reinstalled 6.1.18_1 reboot enabled safe mode and boot single user and got this:
Screenshot_2021-06-23_15-58-14.png

then started dumping ... wait and see ...

rebooted a lot ... maybe 10 times (is that OK?) but finally got DE (i3 now) and I disabled guest again because is loaded but guest additions still not working. The kernel panic is coming from VBoxSVGA (btw I changed from 4 to 1 core, zfs was enabled) but after dumping reset itself to VMSVGA.

Back