Vim install is messed up

One more thing: just copying the file vimrc.sample to /etc won't do it. You also have to rename it to vimrc (for obvious reasons).

When I was talking about the compilation time and config, I meant your config flags you set with 'make' before building.

Hope this helps ;)

Oh sorry, I didn't access to my desktop before so I just checked now from my configuration: it's not /etc/vimrc where your system wide vim config is, but it's /usr/local/share/vim/vimrc, and "sample" is in fact /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/vimrc_example.vim. Sorry if I made any confusion before.

Hey @jozze, thanks for the info. I'll try it tomorrow. Also, sorry for the long delay -- I just returned to work after rotator cuff surgery.

Thanks,

Joe B

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem ;) Before you were complaining about the long compilation time, so I maybe you can cut of the compile time config flags a little bit. Here's how mine look like:

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/editors/vim && make showconfig
===> The following configuration options are avalilable for vim 7.3.669_1:
     CSCOPE=off: cscope support
     EXUBERANT_CTAGS=off: Use exctags instead of ctags
     LUA=on: Lua scripting language support
     NLS=on: Native Language Support
     PERL=off: Perl scripting language support
     PYTHON=on: Python bindings or support
     RUBY=off: Ruby bindings or support
     TCL=off: Tcl scripting language support
     X11=off: X11 (graphics) support
     XTERM_SAVE=on: Restore xterm screen after exit
====> Options available for the radio UI: you can only select none or one of them
     ATHENA=off: Athena GUI toolkit
     GTK2=off: GTK+ 2 GUI toolkit support
     GNOME=off: GNOME desktop environment support
     MOTIF=off: Motif widget library support
===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings

It will still take long to download all the patches (all 669 of them are downloaded separately, that's why), but it will compile fast.

Happy coding, and I wish you a swift recovery!

Cheers,

Jože

jozze said:
No problem ;) Before you were complaining about the long compilation time, so I maybe you can cut of the compile time config flags a little bit. Here's how mine look like

I have had similar problems and for me installing vim without X11 worked.

make WITHOUT_X11=yes install clean

I figured I could easily do without vim but now that I'm busy using multiple text files and comparing their contents (I know about cmp, that's not the point) I finally gave in.

Just wanting to share that I also don't think the compile time is an issue of editors/vim vs. editors/vim-lite but merely of configuring the whole thing (# make config). Since I don't use X11 on my server I made sure to only enable the CSCOPE and PERL options and in the end I think the fetching of all the distribution patches actually took longer than the actual compile process.

Back