Video editor

But on Freebsd you cant install Handbrake because lame is a dependency and because of the mp3 license
there is no lame package on a port, and mixing ports and packages isnt recommended
so you would have to look at using something like poudriere to build the package

The MP3 patents expired in 2017 and LAME has been moved in the gstreamer GitLab repo from the "ugly" to "good" plugin directory around August of that year. Why the FreeBSD port of gstreamer still has it in the "ugly" section is beyond me.

TL;DR
This file spells it out:
usr/ports/audio/lame/files/lame_patents.txt
Linux distributions seem to go the "let's see if get sued" way,
FreeBSD does not follow this.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. There are other patent-encumbered things in ports, and while the packages might be built without the patented portions, compiling the port lets you do whatever you want. So while I could see lame not being in packages, I see no reason why it couldn't be in ports.

Nice ! Thanks for your advice using a windows software, apparently we have nothing to do here and go install windows and the rest is history. LoL
I don't like windows if i was about to go with proprietary operating system and applications i would build a hackintosh and install catalina mac osx.

Sony Vegas - best piece of software that I ever used.

Please notice that the statement I quoted came directly from the /audio/lame port directory.
Notice that it is LICENSE_RESTRICTED on freshports and in /usr/ports/audio/lame/Makefile
That means distributing the pre-compiled binary package by FreeBSD is not allowed.
Lame is in ports and can be built by hand. The binary cannot be distributed by FreeBSD.

Avidemux port have been updated with the Qt5 GUI, so a big thankyou to the ports team for great work.
The pkg install seems to be a bare minimal missing some codec and filter options; for example subtitle filter isn't available unless you build it with FriBibi bi-directional text support. But the port seems good even when all options are enabled, so just disable whichever sound servers and codecs you know you don't want and you should have access to the functions of whichever libraries you've enabled.

I never considered the DivX formats as serious. They were originally lifted from Microsoft right?
There was a time when every film you would grab from torrents was sodding DivX.
Luckily VLC's DivX support came along quite fast. I am glad that project never tiptoed around patents / trademarks like the others. It means many years later it is solid, useful and *everyone* uses it.

That's a simple task, and there are plenty of video editors that can help you do it. Some popular choices include Windows Movie Maker, iMovie, and Adobe Premiere Elements.
I think someone asked on another topic when ChatGPT would start spamming on here and I think we have our answer. It really has that kind of perky-subservient-ChatGPT-blandness to it. :D

There are some very good free video editors but you can even use an online app if you don't have a fast computer you can try flixier its the lighest of them all.

I agree that the file sizes get to be enormous when using MJPEG. But, I use large disks and then don't worry about it too much.
Large disks, hundreds GB of RAM, powerful supercomputer, fast internet, at best Windows Operating system.
A lot of software developers, including Web Site developers, suppose that as minimal conditions for the user.

Back