I have been using 10.2R without (m)any problems as my desktop workstation. Some time ago the download speed for binary packages deteriorated significantly, I am talking 50-120 KiB/s on a link that can achieve around 4 MiB/s. Since I don't install new and big packages very often I have put up with it, hoping that it will fix itself due to magic. It didn't, and today I needed to install a ~2 GiB package which would take 3 hours to complete, so I decided to investigate a bit and here is what I found:
- Changing the PACKAGESITE to the one closer to me added some 30 KiB/s to the peak,
- Downloading the package manually with a browser, wget, etc., is also very slow,
make fetchachieves full speed with no problems.