UTC time setting

I must have selected "yes" when asked if my hardware clock was set to UTC during post-installation. Is there a file that I can edit to change that selection to local time, or do i need to re-install selecting "no" this time?

The date command might also be a good alternative

The
Code:
date yymmddhhmms
command might also be an alternative for you.

Use
Code:
date
by itself to determine if your time zone is correct. If it is, then simply change the time (as the superuser):

Code:
date 1642

would change it to 4:42 PM

If your timezone is incorrect, you might want to take the opportunity to learn how to change it as well.

This might help:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-set-date-and-time-timezone-in-freebsd/

While you're at it, if you can setup the ntp service to automatically sync time (always good practice) it should save you sync problems as well -- entirely optional though.

-stoomaroo

A user friendlier way is to run # sysinstall.
Also, a very good idea is running ntpd(8), to keep correctly your system's current date/time. That's done by enabling ntpd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf .

SirDice said:
Which runs tzsetup(1). Do yourself a favor and use sysinstall only for the initial installation and nothing else.
1) where does it write that sysinstall is bad *per se* for post installation work (it even advertises this in the head menu)
2) where does it write (or who says and for what) that sysinstall is bad *as a practice*
3) i fail to see how i would favor my self by not running sysinstall :e
4) i haven't run sysinstall for ages, if this is your concern :)

Back