Using WhatsApp on FreeBSD

I've just discovered that I can use WhatsApp on a PC and much prefer it to trying to type on my phone.... I'm using Windows at the moment and just wondered if it's possible to get it working on FreeBSD...

I just read that Whatsapp uses Freebsd. Hope they can make an app specifically for Freebsd desktop users :) Cheers to that.

I just read that Whatsapp uses Freebsd. Hope they can make an app specifically for Freebsd desktop users :) Cheers to that.

Now that's highly unlikely i'd say. It took companies ages to even admit that Linux desktops are a thing. For anything more niche than that there sadly is next to no hope seeing support by mass market companies.

true. but for companies that rely on freebsd, it might make sense to support the community by developing niche products for that platform- if it is not a huge build that is..

For me, it's very unfortunate, being forced to use IMs. The safest option on FreeBSD, which I've tested and it works to host four IM programs, namely Whatsapp, Skype, Team and Telegram is Chromium.

Now that's highly unlikely i'd say.
Eh?

It's obviously an old link but WhatsApp were certainly one of the big users of FreeBSD.

facebook is busy shoehorning React to web/dev market. An official whatsapp for FreeBSD, it's probably never going to happen.

I was replying to the "highly unlikely to use FreeBSD" - and WhatsApp did use it (can't see anything saying if they do or don't any more) for server-side. But re-reading what was said it was more about the wish for a FreeBSD client, so yes, that seems unlikely.

Reactions: a6h
Nevermind that WhatsApp relies on a phone-number being present on the device, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use WhatsApp-Call (or whatever it's called).
They don't even have a client for iPad (there is this "WhatsPad" or whatever it's called, but that one relies on a iPhone with WhatsApp being present, and it's similiar to the WebApp).
OTOH, with Facebook Messenger or Skype you can do "phone"-calls from an iPad, so i think it's a consciuos decision of WhatsApp to provide clients just for mobile devices with a "real" phone-number

Back