Using USB > Serial adapter for console output

Hi all, I am trying to get a USB to serial adapter to be the tty used for console output.
The driver works fine and I get a /dev/ttyU0 device.
Is it possible to use this connection for the default console output for the machine?
Thanks!

That should only be needed on the machine with a serial-usb adapter and a screen connected. Your 'host'.
Not the serial console computer ('client')you are trying to connect to.
The 'client' needs the above serial console settings from the handbook.

In addition to what have been said already by Phishfry and aragats, you need to take care regarding the difference of a USB to serial converter which follows the RS-232 specs, i.e. the logic levels are +12 Volt to -12 Volt and most of the FTDI thingies which are operating on TTL levels which can usually be switched to either +3.3 Volt or to +5 Volt.

You use the FTDI-RS232-TTL converters for connecting to the serial console of many of the modern ARM devices. Do not connect these converters to real RS-232 serial ports which operate at much higher voltages. In the best case 12 V won’t harm your 3.3 V converter. In the worst case the converter might be damaged.

PS: Divination is fun, but usually does not give the most conclusive results. Why don’t you simply start over again, and explain to us, which device(s) do you want to connect to the serial terminals of your FTDI converter. AND, inform the respective (serial) specs of both, the converter and the device.

PPS: Ahh..., DO NOT connect the 3.3 V TTL serial terminals of an ARM device to a real RS-232 +/-12 V serial port.

On top of all this the FTDI are some of the most faked chips out there.
If you did not buy from a reputable seller (not Amazon) then it is probably fake.<<<MY OPINION>

Prolific PL2303 is what I use for my Arm boards after dealing with Ebay fake FTDI's
The real FDTI sell for >$12USD, the fakes are much much less.

That should only be needed on the machine with a serial-usb adapter and a screen connected. Your 'host'.
Not the serial console computer ('client')you are trying to connect to.
The 'client' needs the above serial console settings from the handbook.
To be clear, the client AND the host are both using FTDI USB adapters (with a null modem between them).

aragats is probably right looking closer at your question.
You might need that line on the serial console machine depending on your cable arrangement.

On the client side (the serial console computer) have a look at /etc/ttys, and add an entry for /dev/ttyU0 (or whatever device identifier has been attributed to the USB-FTDI device). You want to take the entry of /dev/ttyu0 (small letter ‚u‘) as a template.

Then restart the box.

On the host machine (the one which is the terminal of the serial console), you would enter the following command:
cu -s 115200 -l /dev/ttyU0, then 2times enter and you should see the login prompt.

Back