Using rsync gives illegal byte sequence (86)

Using rsync for incremental backup its giving me this error in larger files:

Code:
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/media/da0p1/text1/text2/text3/LARA\#245IGA Lara Ascension.jpg" failed: Illegal byte sequence (86)

Is there anyway to fix it? Thanks again.

Can be something related to this maybe?

https://github.com/aws-samples/aws-workshop-for-kubernetes/issues/196
and this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11287564/getting-sed-error-illegal-byte-sequence-in-bash

I wanted to test but export does not work and set seems doing nothing. When I do locale I get this:

Code:
# locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

Could rsync error attached to that? And how I add the "C" to those variables?

I am not sure but I think it has something to do with that, and more now that I tried to tar a folder that content those files and I received this error
Code:
Can't translate pathname 'media/da1s1/14/2bs as Tone María.18.doc' to UTF-8

Searching more I found this: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/tar-cant-translate-pathname.32262/

So I tried to use setenv and now

Code:
# setenv LC_MESSAGES en_US.UTF-16
# setenv LC_MONETARY en_US.UTF-16
# setenv LC_NUMERIC en_US.UTF-16
# setenv LC_TIME en_US.UTF-16
# setenv LC_COLLATE en_US.UTF-16
# setenv LC_CTYPE en_US.UTF-16
# setenv LC_ALL en_US.UTF-16
# setenv LANG en_US.UTF-16

and again I run locale

Code:
# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-16
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-16

So only 2 takes the variable, the rest keep in "C", after this I tried again to tar but I still keep getting the same error up there. I hope someone can give me a hand please. Thanks

Are your files located on an USB drive formatted with FAT(32)? In that case you may need to mount it using -L flag and UTF-8 locale.

Are your files located on an USB drive formatted with FAT(32)? In that case you may need to mount it using -L flag and UTF-8 locale.
I tried USB with Fat32 and NTFS, even inside a folder on my system but it keeps giving the same error.. By the way how you mount with UTF 8 option?

I finally solved, after a hard headache ja. It needs to be en_US.UTF-8 so it is like this:

Code:
#setenv LANG en_US.UTF-8
#setenv LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8
# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

Now my question to close this once for all is how I add it permanent to my system?

Well back here again while trying to solve another problem, I found that editing /etc/login.conf I can add it permanent but it does not work, so my guess is that I am avoiding some steep maybe:
As it said here:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/using-localization.html

I edited as I said /etc/login.conf and added this:
Code:
#Espagnol
spanish|Spanish Users Accounts:\
        :charset=es_ES.ISO8859-1:\
        :lang=es_ES.ISO8859-1:\
        :tc=default:

then I run # [B]cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf[/B] and after that I check by running locale and nothing change, I still see

Code:
 # locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

Any help is welcome...

Well back here again while trying to solve another problem, I found that editing /etc/login.conf I can add it permanent but it does not work, so my guess is that I am avoiding some steep maybe:
As it said here:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/using-localization.html

I edited as I said /etc/login.conf and added this:
Code:
#Espagnol
spanish|Spanish Users Accounts:\
        :charset=es_ES.ISO8859-1:\
        :lang=es_ES.ISO8859-1:\
        :tc=default:

then I run # [B]cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf[/B] and after that I check by running locale and nothing change, I still see

Code:
 # locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

Any help is welcome...

Ok, I solved by adding to the end of ~/.cshrc this:

Code:
setenv LANG es_ES.ISO8859-1
setenv LC_ALL es_ES.ISO8859-1

So each time computer starts it change it to those variables, thanks to all.

Don't set LC_ALL, it overrules any and all other LC_* variables.
LC_ALL
This variable determines the values for all locale categories. The value of the LC_ALL environment variable has precedence over any of the other environment variables starting with LC_ (LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME) and the LANG environment variable.
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xbd/envvar.html

So each time computer starts it change it to those variables
The ~/.cshrc file is read after you are logged in, not when the computer is started. It is a subtle but very distinct difference.

Setting it in ~/.cshrc is permanent. You just need to be aware it's set for your account only and is only executed after you login. It's also only for csh(1) or tcsh(1), other shells use different files (~/.profile) for example.

If you want to set it for all users you could use /etc/csh.cshrc (for C shells) and /etc/profile (for Bourne shells).

Setting it in ~/.cshrc is permanent. You just need to be aware it's set for your account only and is only executed after you login. It's also only for csh(1) or tcsh(1), other shells use different files (~/.profile) for example.

If you want to set it for all users you could use /etc/csh.cshrc (for C shells) and /etc/profile (for Bourne shells).
Ok, but this is an "stand alone" server so I wont login on it. I am now inside because I am setting some task and fixing this configurations problems but once it is done I will log in maybe 1 time in a month.
So is there anyway to set those variables? I mean to let it permanent (by default) with out login in the server.

rsync is inside cron.

Don't run it directly in the crontab.

Write a script that handles everything; setting the LC variables, setting the PATH, running rsync with all the right options, etc. Then call that script in crontab.

Trust me. It will save you weeks of headaches doing it that way. Especially if you need to change things in the future.

Don't run it directly in the crontab.

Write a script that handles everything; setting the LC variables, setting the PATH, running rsync with all the right options, etc. Then call that script in crontab.

Trust me. It will save you weeks of headaches doing it that way. Especially if you need to change things in the future.

Ok, I will follow your advice, but since I do not use scripts in FreeBSD can you give me an example of how to do it please?

Save this into a file named something like /root/scripts/rsync-backup.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# set locale
LANG=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_CTYPE=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_COLLATE=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_TIME=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_NUMERIC=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_MONETARY=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_MESSAGES=es_ES.ISO8859-1

/usr/local/bin/rsync --verbose --archive --other-options --rsh=ssh /path/to/backup/ remoteusername@remoteservername:/path/to/write/to/

Make it executable: chmod u+x /root/scripts/rsync-backup.sh

Then enable it in crontab (this would run it at 11:00 pm every night):
Code:
00 23 * * * /root/scripts/rsync-backup.sh

Save this into a file named something like /root/scripts/rsync-backup.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# set locale
LANG=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_CTYPE=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_COLLATE=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_TIME=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_NUMERIC=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_MONETARY=es_ES.ISO8859-1
LC_MESSAGES=es_ES.ISO8859-1

/usr/local/bin/rsync --verbose --archive --other-options --rsh=ssh /path/to/backup/ remoteusername@remoteservername:/path/to/write/to/

Make it executable: chmod u+x /root/scripts/rsync-backup.sh

Then enable it in crontab (this would run it at 11:00 pm every night):
Code:
00 23 * * * /root/scripts/rsync-backup.sh

Thanks a lot, I will try out now.

Back