Using icon packs with Enlightenment E17

I've installed Enlightenment (as my first graphical window manager) and so far I'm very happy with it.

However, I cannot get Enlightenment to use the icon pack I've downloaded. I wouldn't have bothered doing so, but most of the applications and files are lacking any kind of icon. It wasn't a problem earlier because I was using a tiling window manager and only CLI applications and Firefox. Now that things are more graphical, lack of icons is messing up the menus and making it difficult to understand what I'm looking at (where no text is provided).

I've downloaded THIS icon pack, and installed it as described on the web site, but to no avail. I've tried copying it to ~/.e/e/icons, also to /usr/local/share/enlightenment/icon and to /usr/share/local/icons/faenza. But nothing seems to help. All the guides I've found online regarding Enlightenment E17 and icons show how to replace/include single items, one at a time.

How can I have Enlightenment pick up on various icon packs/themes?

By default Enlightenment E17 uses its own icon format. To use icons from e.g. GNOME, you have to go to the Settings from the menu and choose Icon Theme in the Appearance menu. In here you can choose to use an icon theme from installed icon packs.

That's the thing: I don't have an "Icon Theme" menu item anywhere. I have "Themes" and "Application Theme".

Under "Application Theme" there is a tab called "Icons", but there is nothing in the list. And changing the options "Enable Icon theme for Applications" and "Enable Icon theme for Enlightenment" doesn't seem to do anything.

Actually almost all the help I've seen online refers to the "Icon Theme" menu entry. Perhaps it was removed in an earlier update. Wow, that's a lot of dependencies just for displaying icons! Suddenly Enlightenment doesn't seem so lightweight! I'll give it a go and post an update. Isn't there any way to simply unzip/unpack icons to a certain folder and have them recognized?

I unpacked various icon themes to the directories suggested, and a few more, but no luck. They were not picked up by Enlightenment. I can however change the icons used manually, so there is that.

After installing the port you mentioned (x11-themes/gnome-icons) Enlightenment wouldn't load up correctly, although this may have been due to other changes made. There were no error messages to speak of but it only displayed my root window, nothing more. I've switched back to my previous WM as I need to get some work done.

I'm sure at some point I will try again, so I hope to post a definitive answer to this problem in the future.

It may be the efreet cache causing the problem. Try deleting the ~/.cache/efreet directory (or wherever it is) and restart Enlightenment.

Hi,

I found this thread and I tried… and it worked, thanks @diplegio !

What I did :
— Downloaded the GTK icon pack : faenza ;
— Unpacked it, then extracted the archives in ~/.icons/ ;
— Deleted the efreet cache : rm -R .cache/efreet ;
— Restarted enlightenment : main menu > enlightenment > restart (I had to do it three times to see the icon pack, don't know why) ;
— Selected the icon theme in Settings > Application theme > Icon > Faenza-Ambiance and checked « use it for applications » ;
You can check « use it for enlightenment » to replace enlightenment icons with the icon pack one's ;
— In Settings > Application theme, checked « enable X application settings » and applied.
It should work immediately.

That was not really intuitive… for me.
I didn't try with a Qt or Enlightenment icon pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back