• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved Using drm-next-kmod on FreeBSD 11-STABLE

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Duffyx

I'm running a custom kernel. Is AGP kernel support needed for this module to be loaded?

device agp # support several AGP chipsets

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Only if you actually have an AGP slot. Most modern machines have switched to PCIe.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

there's not a word about it that it does not work in the release
It is mentioned, several times, that it's for 12-CURRENT and recently 11-STABLE. What makes you think 11-STABLE includes 11.1-RELEASE?

Let me stress this again, it does NOT work on 11.1-RELEASE, it is not meant to work on 11.1-RELEASE, it will never be made to work on 11.1-RELEASE. It has been added recently to 11-STABLE in order to make sure it can be included in 11.2-RELEASE. FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE is scheduled for June/July 2018 (a few months from now).

lebarondemerde

Daemon

robroy

I am completely stoked about this coming in 11.2-RELEASE, 'cause I like running RELEASE and I'll be buying a new (to me) ThinkPad some time soon. Thanks so much to everybody who has worked on it and tried it out!

yoojeen

Thank you. Yes, nothing bothers. let it not work. Simply needed indicate this moment brighter, that in a 11 STABLE - drm-next-kmod does not work. I would not update the ports and would not update the system 10 times, until i saw this thread. Now i just still wait 12 STABLE for use a drm-next-kmod. (if it will works there)

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

that in a 11 STABLE - drm-next-kmod does not work.
It does work. But there may still be issues to work out. That's the whole point of this exercise.

Now i just still wait 12 STABLE for use a drm-next-kmod.
You still don't seem to understand what -STABLE means. There won't be a 12-STABLE until 12.0-RELEASE (tentatively scheduled for January 2019).

yoojeen

Let me stress this again, it does NOT work on 11.1-RELEASE, it is not meant to work on 11.1-RELEASE, it will never be made to work on 11.1-RELEASE(a few months from now).
and
?
I obviously don't understand something in your answers :)
What differs STABLE from RELEASE? STABLE is not a RELEASE?
Can i use a drm-next-kmod in FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p6? or not?

In general - if i understood correctly- this port works only in CURRENT versions of FreeBSD at the moment (11 and 12). And i don't use CURRENT, and a drm-next-kmod are need for a RELEASE, for the correct statement that it works :)

And drm-next-kmod is not work in 11.1-RELEASE-p6 with Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500. For me, this means that the port does not work in version 11. And i still use "llvmpipe" graphics. "llvmpipe" graphics is sad. But not deadly. Okay.

diizzy

Great news, can anyone have a look if there's a DRI render device present for Intel video (ls -l /dev/dri) It would awesome if we could get Intel Quick Sync working :)
You might need to run X to have it show up from what I can tell.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I obviously don't understand something in your answers :)
What differs STABLE from RELEASE? STABLE is not a RELEASE?
Handbook: 23.4.2. Using FreeBSD-STABLE

In general - if i understood correctly- this port works only in CURRENT versions of FreeBSD at the moment (11 and 12)
There's only one -CURRENT and that is, at this time, 12-CURRENT. It will eventually become 12.0-RELEASE and -CURRENT will move to 13-CURRENT. 11-CURRENT doesn't exist anymore since 11.0-RELEASE.

a drm-next-kmod are need for a RELEASE, for the correct statement that it works
It is being tested on 11-STABLE to get it included in the next release; 11.2-RELEASE.

Can I use a drm-next-kmod in FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p6? or not?
No.

abishai

Aspiring Daemon

Great news, can anyone have a look if there's a DRI render device present for Intel video (ls -l /dev/dri) It would awesome if we could get Intel Quick Sync working :)
Code:
abishai@sphinx:~ % ls -l /dev/dri
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   8 27 февр. 19:29 card0 -> ../drm/0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   9 27 февр. 19:29 controlD64 -> ../drm/64
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 27 февр. 19:29 renderD128 -> ../drm/128

yoojeen

Code:
ls -l /dev/dri
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root  video  0x2d Feb 19 18:35 card0
crw-rw----  1 root  video  0x2c Feb 19 18:35 controlD64

abishai

Aspiring Daemon

What hardware and X?
Dell XPS 13 9350 2016 (FHD, i7-6560U), suspend/resume works.
X.Org X Server 1.18.4 Do we have options? I've noticed WAYLAND option for some ports, but disabled it, I'm not in a mood to tinker with something new [yet].

diizzy

Dell XPS 13 9350 2016 (FHD, i7-6560U), suspend/resume works.
X.Org X Server 1.18.4 Do we have options? I've noticed WAYLAND option for some ports, but disabled it, I'm not in a mood to tinker with something new [yet].
Oh no, I just read on random sites that it only works when you have X running (which seems odd since ffmpeg have headless working on Linux)?

sidetone

Aspiring Daemon

There is an error message in dmesg output, but it doesn't seem to affect anything:
Code:
drmn0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_01.bin: could not load firmware image, error 2
[drm] Finished loading i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_01.bin (v1.1)
It just found the module late. If you load it first in kld_list=, the firmware error message should go away.
/etc/rc.conf:
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/kbl_dmc_ver1_01 /boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
The error message doesn't appear to affect anything either way, because it is ultimately found.

b6s6d6

Hi, I just wanted to let y'all know that graphics/drm-stable-kmod as well as graphics/drm-next-kmod do work just fine on 11.1-STABLE and 11.2-BETA (1, 2 &3) and will be working indeed on FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE.
I've been testing them and AFAICT there's no disadvantage compared to using them on 12.0-CURRENT, though graphics/drm-stable-kmod is much more recommended if you seek stability rather than a higher amount of supported cards.

scottro

Daemon

Do you mean 11.1-RELEASE, or STABLE? Although I already moved my affected machine to 11.2-BETA and will keep it there, rather than CURRENT.

I see in the drm-stable Makefile
Code:
.if ${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && ${OSVERSION} < 1101510
Which makes me think it won't run on 11.1-RELEASE. (At least the box I'm looking at shows $OSVERSION at 1101001. The only way I know to get that is make -C /usr/ports/-V OSVERSION, I'm sure there's a better way). The only other thing a few minutes of googling found was a list of release numbers and OS versions but the method above seems simpler than finding that list each time.

b6s6d6

Do you mean 11.1-RELEASE, or STABLE? Although I already moved my affected machine to 11.2-BETA and will keep it there, rather than CURRENT.

I see in the drm-stable Makefile
Code:
.if ${OPSYS} == FreeBSD && ${OSVERSION} < 1101510
Which makes me think it won't run on 11.1-RELEASE. (At least the box I'm looking at shows $OSVERSION at 1101001. The only way I know to get that is make -C /usr/ports/-V OSVERSION, I'm sure there's a better way).
No. It will never be available on FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE. What I meant was graphics/drm-*-kmod ports are going to be compatible with 11.2-RELEASE whenever it becomes available. The linuxkpi modules were MFC'd some time ago so recent 11.1-STABLE snapshots as well as pre 11.2 images are all capable of using this technology.