USB Wireless

I am trying to get a USB wireless adapter to connect my FreeBSD system to connect to the internet. I typed the command "pciconf...".
My system does give a response but I am not sure if the response identifies the USB adapter. What kind of response am I looking for?

I checked with usbconfig. It worked when I was checking as superuser but not when I was working just in my basic account. It gave two readings for the usb. One I believe is for the basic usb bus and the other was for the only usb device attached---the usb wireless adapter. The information was fairly cryptic to me

Little Snag

I accessed the .inf and .sys files that were in the XP driver folder, copied them to the root directory and used ndisgen to convert the files. When I tried to convert the *.inf driver file I received the following error message:
Code:
ndiscvt: line 527: : Syntax Error
How do I proceed?

That sounds like it couldn't read the inf correctly. Did you tell it to convert the inf file to...the proper encoding? (I'm forgetting the name, but it prompts for a simple yes/no)

Just use ndisgen, if you can help it. I remember that being the most inclusive way.

I just followed the prompts and when it asked whether to convert the driver I selected yes. It tells me that the inf file is an ASCII file. That is as far as I get

RE: requesting guidance

Wblock can you please advise me how to proceed. How it looks now is that I have to change some of the code in the *.inf file which I am reluctant to do on my own.

wblock@ said:
Sorry, I haven't used ndisgen(8) much. I prefer to replace wireless cards with ones that are supported natively.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Unless you forgot to specify some firmware in addition to the other two files, I doubt you're going to get the card to work.

I'm currently 'there' with a wireless adapter I've got as well, sorry!

Approaching the problem of getting my system online from a different angle, where can I get an inexpensive wireless USB adapter that I can get to work with FreeBSD 8.2?

Yeah, I'm still looking for a supported wireless card. I bought one recently that *seemed* to have support, but wound up not having any. It's kind of long homework to do...

Back