USB not mounting Mate desktop

Hi, I hope I'm asking the following question in the right place.

I'm dipping my toes in BSD via GhostBSD and I'm a newbie. I asked the same question over their forum but haven't had an answer. I hope this is the appropriate place.

My USB drives won't mount or be recognized, thumb drives or external drive. I get the following:

ScanDisk music drive an early Apple music thingy (forgot the name of those things, i something or other)

Cannot Mount Volume
Unable to mount the volume
Details: Dev/da3s1: Operation not supported for this device

And the other

Error.org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnknownError
Details: An unknown error occurred

For the Apple formatted external drive I get the following:

Unable to mount the volume (with the name of the volume)
Mount: dev/gpt/(the name of the volume): operation not supported by device

I use MATE. I'm sure the hardware worked with the various Linux distributions I used.

I'm not the savviest person and checked dconf editor but couldn't find anything to switch or change there. But I'm not an expert either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Hi, I hope I'm asking the following question in the right place.

My USB drives won't mount or be recognized, thumb drives or external drive. I get the following:

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

You first need to work out whether the problem is due to not being recognised before you try mounting it.

camcontrol devlist should tell you if the system recognises the hardware

gpart show should tell you if the system can identify any partitions.

Hi Nikaea,

pc-bsd-freenas-xigmanas-and-all-other-freebsd-derivatives.

GhostBSD is in the meantime a fork of TrueOS, paraphrased a fork of a fork. Dont know how they handle automounting but you may succeed at the TrueOS forum. The community should be more active than that of GhostBSD.

As starting point: to mount hfs devices you need sysutils/fusefs-hfsfuse. And you should be able to use native mount(1) when automounting is not working properly.

Good luck

Thanks Lanakus, I knew I was in for a strange fork of BSD. When I can figure out how to install FreeBSD with a desktop I'll switch over, maybe?

fusefs-hfsfuse allows my system to recognize my hard drive. A great starts. Thanks!

I'll head on out to TrueOS. Cheers!

You first need to work out whether the problem is due to not being recognised before you try mounting it.

camcontrol devlist should tell you if the system recognises the hardware

gpart show should tell you if the system can identify any partitions.

Thanks balanga, they both see it. It's a FAT32 format. I have to see how to read it next. Thanks all for getting me closer. I appreciate it a lot :)

fusefs-hfsfuse allows my system to recognize my hard drive. A great starts. Thanks!
Glad to here.

When I can figure out how to install FreeBSD with a desktop I'll switch over, maybe?
If you're serious about learning FreeBSD I suggest running raw FreeBSD instead. Learning an OS is like learning a language and you won't start with dialects. Thats what I did. There many good guides to set up a desktop

Building A FreeBSD Desktop From Scratch
A FreeBSD 11 Desktop-Howto
FreeBSD desktop series by @vermaden

Glad to here.

If you're serious about learning FreeBSD I suggest running raw FreeBSD instead. Learning an OS is like learning a language and you won't start with dialects. That's what I did. There many good guides to set up a desktop

Building A FreeBSD Desktop From Scratch
A FreeBSD 11 Desktop-Howto
FreeBSD desktop series by @vermaden

I agree it's on the list of things to do. I'm a journalist looking for stability and already installed it virtually but need to figure a desktop. It's a question of time. Perhaps I can go on YouTube. I'm a visual learner :)
Thanks for the hints and tips!

You have even thinking about automounting anything, it's mandatory to learn using mount(8).
Another important command is gpart(8). With it, you can get information about partition type/layout and filesystems.
You need that information for the mount command.
I'm a visual learner
Good, read the two manpages first ;)

Back