USB info

How can I check if a USB port is USB 1 2 or 3?

If I have three USB ports how are they addressed, and is there a boot order if you have bootable devices attached to each?

And is there any way switch off a USB port?

Can you do this programatically from FreeBSD?
Not sure actually, never had to. You can certainly power off USB devices. You can probably also disable the actual ports themselves.

I suspect you can turn the actual ports off with device.hints(5). But that might mean all ports connected to a certain controller are disabled.

usbconfig(8) displays the current speed. That is the actual speed which depends on what controller and device agreed on with the current cable and doesn't reflect just the controller's capabilities.

Code:
$ usbconfig 
ugen0.1: <Intel XHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <Intel XHCI root HUB> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.2: <DJJHFA1BIF7IML HP HD Camera> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)
ugen1.3: <vendor 0x06cb product 0x00f0> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen1.4: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0026> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
ugen1.5: <ASIX Elec. Corp. AX88179> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=ON (124mA)

`lsusb -v` (from port usbutils) is giving much more info, also including the speed.

Back