USB DSL modem problem

update: recently tried a version of linux, when i compiled the kernel, i searched for RNDIS in the config file program(make menuconfig) and i was successful! now my question now is that can I do the same with freebsd?

twantnix3 said:
update: recently tried a version of linux, when i compiled the kernel, i searched for RNDIS in the config file program(make menuconfig) and i was successful! now my question now is that can I do the same with freebsd?

Maybe because FreeBSD is not a Linux distribution?

twantnix3 said:
it didnt work.. everytime i try to come to bsd I run into somethin it seems... I thank you all, Ill just deal with it when I have more time

Did you remember to unplug an re plug your usb modem after kldload'ing if_cdce?

Hi! I think I'm having a similar problem.
I cannot get my USB modem to work on FreeBSD.

After reading this post and thinking maybe my BSDanywhere LiveCD might give me a clue (since my modem works fine with that), I booted it up and noticed it looks like it uses cdce0. So, I looked at the man page for cdce(4) and put in my /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
if_cdce_load="YES"
I rebooted, but it didn't seem to do anything that I'm aware of...:(

I didn't know what else to look for, so I haven't changed anything else. After rebooting, I also went to sysinstall, but my USB modem still did not show up in the configure options for network interfaces. And, when I try
Code:
dhclient cdce0
it says nothing is found. I wondered if dhclient-script is supposed to do something, but when I run it, nothing happens.

It seems this thread is the closest to any info I've seen on USB modems for FreeBSD, so I hope it put me on the right track... but I'm still stuck. Does anyone have any ideas? Should I start a new thread?
Thank you~

What shows up in /var/log/messages when you (un)plug the USB modem? Also see [cmd=]dmesg -a[/cmd] for relevant output.

You are booting a LiveCD. Any changes made to /boot/loader.conf will be lost if you reboot.

DutchDaemon said:
What shows up in /var/log/messages when you (un)plug the USB modem? Also see [cmd=]dmesg -a[/cmd] for relevant output.

Here's what I copied by hand (I don't know how to get other ways yet):
Code:
kernel: module cdce already present!
I just now removed the module again from my /boot/loader.conf, since it said it was already there.

Here's part of logs/dmesg:
Code:
kernel: ugen2.2: <Actiontec Electronics, Inc> at usbus2
kernel: ugen2.2: <Actiontec Electronics, Inc> at usbus2 (disconnected)
root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x1668 product 0x6010 bus uhub2

SirDice said:
You are booting a LiveCD. Any changes made to /boot/loader.conf will be lost if you reboot.
No, I'm in a new install of FreeBSD made from only the CD disc1.
The LiveCD was what I tried to compare to and that was BSDanywhere (OpenBSD).

(By the way, I wonder if there's a way to retrieve the logs from FreeBSD's partition? My Ubuntu doesn't seem to know how to read FreeBSD's file system.)

Zeniff said:
(By the way, I wonder if there's a way to retrieve the logs from FreeBSD's partition?
If you have a Windows client, my favorites are PuTTY and WinSCP.

Thanks, I'll look into that for another time. Unfortunately I don't have any other PC at my house now..

(Thanks for the replies so far. I'll need to come back tomorrow or as soon as I can.)

Hi again~

I thought maybe since the modem works on Ubuntu 9.10, I decided to post the output of some commands I've heard from the earlier posts.

I unplugged and replugged in my USB modem, and this was the end part of dmesg:
Code:
[   26.508037] hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 7
[   26.724015] usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[   26.927112] usb 4-1: configuration #2 chosen from 2 choices
[   26.960850] eth1: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, CDC Ethernet Device, 00:0f:b3:72:fb:a9
[   26.960879] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
[   37.328021] eth1: no IPv6 routers present
[  325.296069] usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 2
[  325.297517] eth1: unregister 'cdc_ether' usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, CDC Ethernet Device
[  331.380034] usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
[  331.585876] usb 4-1: configuration #2 chosen from 2 choices
[  331.595584] eth1: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, CDC Ethernet Device, 00:0f:b3:72:fb:a9
[  342.164036] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

Here is the output of ifconfig (eth1 is my USB modem, eth0 is bge0 in FreeBSD (I think), but I never used before because I don't have something to plug into it):
Code:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0d:9d:50:ac:1d  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:20 

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0f:b3:72:fb:a9  
          inet addr:192.168.0.2  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20f:b3ff:fe72:fba9/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:181 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:221 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:150085 (150.0 KB)  TX bytes:74440 (74.4 KB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:240 (240.0 B)  TX bytes:240 (240.0 B)

Here is the output of lsusb:
Code:
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 1668:6010 Actiontec Electronics, Inc. [hex] Gateway
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Does any of that info help find out how to solve my problem? Thanks~

Zeniff said:
Here's part of logs/dmesg:
Code:
kernel: ugen2.2: <Actiontec Electronics, Inc> at usbus2 (disconnected)
root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x1668 product 0x6010 bus uhub2
Unfortunately that device is not currently supported, however linux says it's a CDCE device so it might be possible to just modify FreeBSD's cdce(4) driver for your hardware's device IDs. Do you know how to patch kernel source and recompile?

Really? Wow, that's too bad... As I'm someone who is new to both Linux and BSD, I feel kind of strange, because I would have guessed that if the device worked on one OS, it would work on the others. I guess that means each version of Linux, BSD, etc each make their own drivers or support it their own way? I'm happy most of the other stuff works, though.

I've never tried or learned about patches and compiling yet, sorry. But, if it's my only option, I may be willing to try it.

The cdce(4) man page you mentioned says I can enable cdce by recompiling or just adding something to loader.conf. Would it be possible/easier to modify the cdce drive in a similar way?

All the linuxes use the same kernel, and have the same driver support for the most part. The BSDs don't use the linux kernel and don't even borrow much code from it either due to the GPL restrictions.

In theory it should be straight forward to add support for your device if it and cdce(4) both adhere well to the CDCE spec. What FreeBSD version are you running?

Back