USB DSL modem problem

I am thinking about comming home to freebsd from gentoo, all i want is for my box to connect through usb to my modem. it does with linux, but i need to know what i need for freebsd.

This is a rather difficult question to answer without knowing what USB modem you have in the first place...

Oh and [cmd=]eth0[/cmd] is the way Linux names interfaces ([cmd=]eth0[/cmd] the first NIC, [cmd=]eth1[/cmd] the second and so on). Network interfaces in FreeBSD are named after the supporting driver.

Carpetsmoker said:
This is a rather difficult question to answer without knowing what USB modem you have in the first place...

its a dsl modem, but connects through usb. sorry, forgot to add that info.

I suspect the device IDs would be more useful. You can see these logged to /var/log/messages when you connect the modem.

it says: usb 1-1.3: Product: ARRIS USB RNDIS Drive
usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: ARRIS RNDIS Adapter
usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: DUMMYDUMMYDUMMY
usb 1-1.3: uevent
usb 1-1.3: usb_probe_device

thats what see so far from that

That doesn't look like it comes from a FreeBSD kernel, otherwise it'd have useful information such as this:

Code:
Sep 16 00:07:36 <user.notice> igor root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x0421 product 0x0042 bus uhub2

I am not using freebsd as of now because of this problem. im using linux. but i like the speed and stability of freebsd. is there soome kind of module I can call at the beginning?

If you have the PCI ID then that should be enough.

For Linux, you can use the lspci(8) command. I'm not sure but judging from the manpage either without any arguments or with the -n argument should give you a PCI ID.

ok, installed freebsd, heres what it said when i connected the usb:
Code:
ugen0: <Arris RNDIS Adapter ARRIS USB RNDIS Driver, class 210, rev 1.1010.00, addr 3> on uhub1

There should be more to it. Do you not see a log entry like I pasted?

Otherwise, run "usbconfig" as root while your modem is connected and paste us the output.

it didnt work.. everytime i try to come to bsd I run into somethin it seems... I thank you all, Ill just deal with it when I have more time

Back