Other USB 3.1 thumb drives

Most of by previous thumb drives were either too slow or too small to warrant serious I/O benchmarks. However, I just acquired a few PNY 128 GB USB 3.1 memory sticks. They cost US$20 each (in Australia), and are regarded as being reasonably good performers, and I wanted to understand just how good.

I just ran benchmarks/bonnie++ across the fleet, and I threw in a variety of spinning disks and SSDs for comparison with the PNY memory sticks.

Here is a summary of the results:
Code:
                     ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                     -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
                      /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
Media Mem/File F/S
------------------
PNY   16/64G   ext4            71.0m  15 51.1m   7            286m  18  1376  64
PNY   16/64G   xfs             71.3m  10 52.4m   7            293m  18  1539  43
PNY   32/92G   ufs             70.3m   3 56.2m   2            286m   6  1549   9
VRap  8/64G    xfs              102m  12 54.8m  10            139m  26   170   6
MX500 32/128G  xfs              253m   8  161m   7            507m  16  5392 121
NVMe  16/64G   xfs              773m  47  366m  37            668m  49  3251 139
Tank  32/128G  zfs              2.3g  85  1.8g  93            3.8g  99 +++++ +++

The "per character" (stdio) tests were not done (they take an eternity, and are just a proxy for some type of CPU benchmark).

Media:
  • PNY: PNY 128 GB USB 3.1 memory stick (in a USB 3.1 or 3.2 slot)
  • VRap: WDC WD2500HHTZ-0 250GB SATA Velociraptor spinning disks (mirror pair)
  • MX500: Crucial CT250MX500SSD1 250GB SATA SSD (mirror pair)
  • NVMe: M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe on PCIe x1 slot (mirror pair)
  • Tank: zfs server tank, 4 x 3TB mirrors, striped (spinning SATA disks)
Mem/File: Size of main memory / Size of file written by bonnie++

F/S: File system type in which test files were written. Linux systems use ext4 and xfs. FreeBSD systems use ufs and zfs.

The Block Outputs, Rewrites, and Inputs are megabytes or gigabytes per second.

Random Seeks are seeks per second.

%CP is the percentage of a single CPU used by running the test.

I have been trying to figure out what the "+++" fields mean, and I think I need to read the code. The easy way out is to assert a field overflow, but I'm somewhat uneasy about that.

My impressions when building systems with USB 3.1 thumb drives was that their performance was satisfactory for many tasks. The benchmark results show why. In comparing the Velociraptor spinning disks to the PNY, the PNY thumb drive is:
  • 70% as fast as the Velociraptor for sequential output;
  • has equivalent file re-write speeds;
  • twice as fast as the Velociraptor for sequential input; and
  • about nine times faster than the Velociraptor for random seeking.
For most applications, the read speed, and random seeking are, by far, the most important I/O metrics. PNY beats the Velociraptors hands down.

It's worth noting that the FreeBSD USB storage drivers use a fair bit less CPU capacity than their Linux counterparts.

The M.2 Samsung SSD is rated at PCIe Gen 3.0 x4. However it's connected through an x1 slot on the motherboard, which is a distinct limitation. NVMe should be able to do much better than shown above when configured favourably.

The ZFS tank is awesome!

There's a lot of uncontrolled variables in the above tests. Issues like duty cycle, latency, and redundancy may lead you away from relying on a USB stick. Additionally, not all USB 3.1 thumb drives perform well. But I think that a good USB 3.1 thumb drive would provide a viable option as system disk for a wide variety of applications with casual I/O needs, like media clients, routers, switches, and maybe even desktops.

Interface doesn't tell you anything about performance except for the theoretical limits of it not the controller or flash memory used.
I would in general be very careful about PNY USB Flash memory (Attaché 4 (which is extremely slow btw) and Elite Steel)
and SD/MicroSD cards (Elite and Pro Elite) as failure rates appears to be very high compared to the competition.

bonnie++ isn't great for benchmarking but I guess it does show something at least...

Back