Solved Upgrading issues.

OK. I am continuing to read Lucas' book, "Absolute FreeBSD" and in addition to learning a lot, I am really enjoying his sense of humor.

So, a few days ago, I tried to upgrade my installation of FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE to FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE. Of course, at some point in the process, I get a message that I have to reinstall all my "third-party" software, which, obviously, means every application I had installed under 12.2, such as Firefox, Mate, LibreOffice,, etc.

And, of course, I don't have a full-list of all of those.

So, it appears that I am going to have to rollback to version 12.2 to get that list. As I remember it, there is a command to get that list, but so far I have not found it, and at my age, (79), I sure as heck don't remember it.

Someone here must know what that command is. Could someone please share that with me?

Thanks,

Ken Gordon

Use pkg leaf or pkg prime-list. While pkg version will certainly show you a list of all your installed packages, it also shows the packages you didn't explicitly install. In other words those packages that got installed as a dependency of something. Both pkg leaf and pkg prime-list show a list of packages you explicitly installed, everything else was installed as a dependency of those. If you need to reinstall your system from scratch you want to only install the things you actually need. The dependencies will automatically get pulled in, so you don't need to keep track of those.

Back