Upgraded chromium, now barely working

Hi guys,

I sudo pkg upgrade chromium yesterday, now it works extremely bad. It lags, and dies unexpectedly. It is unusable. I am writing this with Firefox.

From the shell I see only a plethora of messages like:
[73250:261767168:0208/162601.904522:ERROR:child_process_sandbox_support_impl_linux.cc(79)] FontService unique font name matching request did not receive a response.

I am running FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE.

Do you observe the same? Solutions ?

Since it appears that the sandbox function is messing up try to run chromium from the command prompt like this:
chromium --no-sandbox
It might make it less secure but will allow you to narrow down the issue.

Interesting. I just built www/chromium from ports a couple of days ago and am still at version 79-something. Perhaps I need to update again. Zero performance issues with my install on 12.0-RELEASE. Just updated and building now to test.

Yes I noticed that FreeBSD is still at version 79 of Chromium. I am using www/iridium occasionally so I am not that familiar.
Regardless looks like there are some major changes coming to the cookie setup.

Since it appears that the sandbox function is messing up try to run chromium from the command prompt like this:
chromium --no-sandbox
It might make it less secure but will allow you to narrow down the issue.
Hi Phishfry ! so long time is passed since our BeagleBone Black hacks:)

anyhow, back to topic, in my FreeBSD-12 when I install chromium package I get a runnable command chrome.

Adding option --no-sandbox does not remove the aforementioned error message.

New observations:

. There was a first big improvement in removing all my cookies and cached data. The browser stoppped dying. But still, it remained a lot slower than before the upgrade and at times is hangs for a handful of seconds.

. From Phishfry suggestion. I notice a big improvement adding the --use-gl=egl. Now the browser seems faster then the pre-upgrade state. Still I can't say about the hanging.

update.

unfortunately the browser keeps locking here and there for handful of seconds. Also Youtube video plyaing quality is notably diminshed.

DO NOT UPGRADE CHROMIUM.

I found a reference, what I see is almost exactly what is described in this page.

I hope there will be very soon an upgrade in the Chromium package because this is pretty bad.

Try running www/chromium from a terminal with debug logging enabled as described at Google chrome support : chrome --enable-logging=stderr --v=1. Log level can be increased by setting --v= to a higher number. Maybe in the log are hints to narrow down the problem, eventually append the log to the bug report.

It would be nice if Google would provide any help at all in this but they won't. I haven't seen the guy who maintains chromium here lately but he will testify to how large and unwieldy it is. I wish I had the something-something to work on it myself.

Back