upgrade old FreeBSD home server

OK, after some delays in shipping, taking a vacation, waiting for my son to visit to help with physical build....

Installing FreeBSD 12.2 today. But I have an issue with the

Intel Pro/1000 Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter EXPI9402PT​

This is an older card (PCIe2) but I thought it should be compatible with my X570 motherboard?

Anyway, it shows in dmesg as em0/em1 so that all looks good. But no internet, and in fact the little lights next to the network port don't stay lit.

Is there something I need to enable for compatibility? Or maybe it's just a bad card?

Alright, well, after trying a dozen different combos of plugging cables etc., and giving up, and using the onboard re0 interface instead, which promptly worked....

I tried plugging a cable into the dual Intel again, and now the lights are on. (The same cable as I started with.)

So I'm very confused.

X570 boards usually have perfectly capable onboard ethernet ports. Unless you actually need more than one ethernet port on your rig, I'd just skip that Intel server adapter, and let a router handle the networking duties.

Sometimes, a reboot/power cycle wakes some odd circuit up, and it begins to work. Maybe that's what happened in your case.

There are a number of fixes in 13-STABLE so if you're able just try to boot the installer and see if you get a connection. I would also try another cable and/or another port on the switch/gateway if possible.

Yes, I guess it needed to be woken up somehow. I'd tried various ports/cables/etc already....

(Yes, I need 2 nics to run my home network off this thing.)

It should work with the em(4) driver. Others on the forum have had luck with it:

Is it possible the card itself is bad? Those do seem to be pretty old.

Well it turns out that this system requires 13.0 in order to run Xorg (in other than "frame buffer" mode). That's because of the onboard Vega Radeon graphics with the Ryzen CPU.

I wanted to be conservative on my version choice, with 12.2, and that turned out to be unworkable due to "drm-kmod" driver needed being too old in 12.x system. So after carefully setting up a new 12.2 system over the course of a couple of weeks, I hastily made a 13.0 system today. And it does run Xorg. (Now I just have to think what I forgot when being hasty!)

Ha, well, I've been running FreeBSD since the 90s. Getting the right hardware configured drives me nuts, but once we're in software, I do OK.

Ha, well, I've been running FreeBSD since the 90s. Getting the right hardware configured drives me nuts, but once we're in software, I do OK.
FreeBSD used to really lag in hardware support - but these days, it's catching up to recent hardware very nicely.

Back