Upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0 pf Problem?

Hi everyone,

Today I try to upgrade my FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE Firewall Box to 9.0 RELEASE. I download the newest sources via csup and made a custom kernel. Safety first, I tried to boot the new kernel and check whether the machine comes up. As expected the machine was booting fine.

But then I noticed that my clients behind the Firewall can't connect to the Internet. When I try to load the pf.conf I got this message:

Code:
[userx@dmz-pf /etc]$ sudo pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf
pfctl: DIOCADDRULE: Operation not supported by device

This is my first try to upgrade a FreeBSD machine. I'm not sure at this point. Should pf work after booting the new kernel or should it work only when I make the new kernel permanent, install the system with make installworld and merge the system configuration files with mergemaster?

Maybe it is no real problem at this time and I have to go on with the update process. But I thought it is better to ask you than crashing the production machine.

Thanks for your help!

No. I only boot the new build kernel and want to check the system comes up with it.

That's my question. Must I go no with next steps (make installworld) and finish the update process and after that pf is running or do I have the same problem after make installworld?

I read the handbook and I read also this howto
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=26140

The binaries you're using now (like pfctl) are out of sync with your kernel.

Do the full upgrade.

So my problem is solved. I did the canonical way described in the handbook and finally all worked great.

Thanks!

Back