Solved upgrade from 10.3 to 11 failed

At first it was my own problem.

I followed the steps here to upgrade from 10.3 to 11: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/installation.html

Unfortunately, the VM was powered off before last step freebsd-update install.

When I power on it again the system gives errors.

Code:
Mounting local file systems:KLD fdescfs.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch

Anything could be done to finish the upgrading?

Run the freebsd-update install.

No that doesn't work. To run freebsd-update install, the system ask me to run freebsd-update fetch at first.

I run freebsd-update fetch and it says
Fetching metadata signature for 10.3-RELEASE from update.FreeBSD.org... failed

Did you try other things before? Because you're supposed to reboot during the upgrade any way. So even if you did switch it off it should just continue where it left off.

I'd try freebsd-update rollback. Hopefully that will restore the system back into a working state. From there you could try the upgrade again.

• Thanks
Reactions: hdc
Did you try other things before? Because you're supposed to reboot during the upgrade any way. So even if you did switch it off it should just continue where it left off.

I'd try freebsd-update rollback. Hopefully that will restore the system back into a working state. From there you could try the upgrade again.

no I did nothing. just one time reboot before the last step then everything wrong.

Yes and thanks. the freebsd-update rollback is working and roll backed to 10.3 (seems).

I will try to update it later on.

I tried again to update to 11 and got new problem.

the system seems updated but lots of problems.

at first the network failed: failed to initialize em0, the em0 is network card.

and some libraries lost: lib80211.so.1 (required by ifconfig), libpam (required by sshd).

to rollback can not solve problem this time.

any suggestion?

Did you follow the instructions properly? Because it sounds like you only ran freebsd-update install only once and didn't run freebsd-update install two more times.

Did you follow the instructions properly? Because it sounds like you only ran freebsd-update install only once and didn't run freebsd-update install two more times.

Yes, I followed the steps from section 2.2 exactly: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/installation.html

I only missed last "install" step, which means the after first time reboot I only installed once then reboot.

After first time rolling back the system is running fine. But seems the system was actually 10.3, freebsd-update thought it is already 11.
So, the "fetch install" doesn't install properly and rebooting bring issues.

Is there any way to upgrade it like from beginning?

Still failed and no idea how to do.

currently the uname -r has different version than freebsd-version:

$ uname -r
11.0-RELEASE-p8

$ freebsd-version
10.3-RELEASE-p17

I dont know how big issue of this will be. but seems I can't upgrade to 11 otherwise the network failed again.

After the first freebsd-update install only the kernel is updated. You then need to reboot to activate the new kernel. Then you run freebsd-update install again to install the rest of the userland.

After the first freebsd-update install only the kernel is updated. You then need to reboot to activate the new kernel. Then you run freebsd-update install again to install the rest of the userland.

Yes I did. in that article there are 2 times freebsd-update install after reboot. I did the first time, but unfortunately missed the second time.

The second install after the reboot (that's the third install run) only removes old stuff.

The second install after the reboot (that's the third install run) only removes old stuff.

Then that is wired. should be something wrong during the normal updating process.

I took the snapshot of this middle stage (the uname -r is 11 and freebsd-version is 10.3) so I could roll back.

in this middle stage I can run
Code:
freebsd-update install
and it installed something. but everytime I reboot I got the network not working and libraries missed issue.

very bad I didnt take snapshot while I started the upgrading.

I did following to solve problem:

At first freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.3-RELEASE to get 10.3 back.

Then upgrade to 11 again by formal steps.

After system upgrading. to run pkg-static install -f pkg to update pkg, and pkg upgrade to upgrade all packages.

Until now all working fine.

Back