Upgrade FreeBSD 7.2 to 8.0

I have to say, I'm still not 100% sure what mergemaster -Ui does or WHY I need to run this. I understand why I needed to install the 7.x libraries (to get all my ports/software working again).

Does mergemaster just clean up my system after the upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0?

One other thing, whenever a security alert is announced, if I run:
Code:
freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
Does this install the latest security patches that are available to resolve the issues released in the security announcements?

xy16644 said:
I have to say, I'm still not 100% sure what mergemaster -Ui does or WHY I need to run this.
As the name implies, it merges configuration files when you upgrade your system. To find out what the options do, you should really, really, start reading some man pages (mergemaster(8)). Please!

xy16644 said:
Code:
freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
Does this install the latest security patches that are available to resolve the issues released in the security announcements?
Yes, it installs *binary* security and errata patches. Try it and see for yourself. When you'll run % uname -a, you'll see there's now a patch level or the existing patch level was increased (X.Y-RELEASE-pN, N being the patch level).

i ran into some of these same problems but my question is where did my docs go after the upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0? there are no more docs in /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/

anyone know how upgrade handles this?

thanks,

If you have the source tree, you should be able to find them in /usr/src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1. They're probably not installed because a 'make' in there produces a fatal error. I'll see if that warrants a PR.

The docs people replied thusly:

This seems to be a misunderstanding. The docs under the src/release are
not supposed to be built during "make buildworld" ("make installworld"
does not build anything anyway.) Nor are are they supposed to build just by
typing "make" in one of the directories. (In fact, much of the FreeBSD
src tree does not work that way.)

The files under src/release are part of the FreeBSD Documentation
Project, and require special tools to build; those tools are not part of
the src tree. There are also other docs that get installed under
/usr/share/doc, but those are also not part of the base system.

For more information on the documentation set and on how to build them, see

http://www.freebsd.org/docproj

Back