Upgrade disaster 11.2-RELEASE -> 12.0-RELEASE

I can confirm that using the 11.2 boot loader works -- my co-worker did that with another UFS+raidz2 machine (which was upgraded to escape the silent hangs, preceded by (bogus?) out-of-swap messsages).

So, this quick fix raises the question -- can anybody tell us at what point the faulty bootloader will be re-installed during an upgrade?

In the case I am writing about here, I had ended up with an i386 kernel (at least according to uname), so I bailed and re-installed (having full backup of all the config and other modifications). I will be sticking with 11.2 p9 and the "out-of-swap" problem with that box. Fingers crossed that 11.3 will rectify the problem that got me here.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
can anybody tell us at what point the faulty bootloader will be re-installed during an upgrade?
If by bootloader you mean the contents of the MBR and/or freebsd-boot partition, nowhere. You always have to update those by hand. You can easily verify this, /usr/sbin/freebsd-update is a rather large shell script. So anyone can read it.