Upgrade causing a problem with make

Hello, I recently upgraded (via source) from 8.1 64-bit to 8.2 64-bit. However, since the upgrade I cannot 'make' anything, whether by make being invoked directly or through portmaster. The error message is:

Code:
"/usr/src/share/mk/sys.mk", line 354: if-less endif
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

I used the -U option to mergemaster and chose to merge any other files that had changed between releases. I obviously screwed something up, probably while in mergemaster, can anyone help me fix it?

Thanks.

There is absolutely no reason why a binary in the base system would throw an error message pointing back to the source tree it was compiled from. Sounds like something broke during the build/installworld phase. Unfortunately, breaking make is quite problematic, because so much depends on it. If you installed -RELEASE you could try using freebsd-update(8) to reinstall, or its IDS functionality to check your installed files against an index. If you installed -STABLE, you could try lifting a working make from a different system, if you have access to one, until you have the possibility to reinstall from a new/updated source tree.

Why it would be looking at the /usr/src version of sys.mk is another question.
What's the output of
# make -V MAKE_VERSION

Hello, I was upgrading from 8.1 RELENG to 8.2 RELENG

Unfortunately
Code:
make -V MAKE_VERSION
simply throws up the same error message.

I'm sorry guys I copied the wrong error message in my initial post, it doesn't reference the src directory:

Code:
"/usr/share/mk/sys.mk", line 354: if-less endif
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

By 8.2 RELENG you mean 8.2-RELEASE? You can probably extract a working make from an installation CD. And if more problems turn up, extract the entire base system from the CD. When everything's in working order again, you can resume compiling from source.

The make binary might be okay, with just that file being broken somehow.
% diff -u /usr/src/share/mk/sys.mk /usr/share/mk/sys.mk

wblock said:
The make binary might be okay, with just that file being broken somehow.
% diff -u /usr/src/share/mk/sys.mk /usr/share/mk/sys.mk

Hello, that command returns nothing. I've also tried manually copying sys.mk from /usr/src and that didn't work either, same error message.

Apologies folks, I use ccache and left a '#' in the make.conf file, once this was removed make works properly, thanks for your time.

Back