updating to 12.0-RELEASE-p5?

When I currently run uname -a I get back that I am on FreeBSD version 12.0-RELEASE-p4. This morning when I ran freebsd-update fetch install I got a message stating "No updates needed to update system to 12.0-RELEASE-p5."

When I try to run the command freebsd-update upgrade -r 12.0-RELEASE-p5 I get the following output
Code:
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 12.0-RELEASE from update1.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic kernel/generic-dbg src/src world/base world/base-dbg
world/doc world/lib32 world/lib32-dbg

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 12.0-RELEASE-p5 from update1.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 12.0-RELEASE-p5 from update2.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 12.0-RELEASE-p5 from update4.freebsd.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

Any help in figuring out why this is the case would be appreciated. I am also running FreeBSD on a Dell Latitude E6530

See FreeBSD-SA-19:07.mds, revision history. -p5 was released because -p4 was broken for i386 only, so for amd64, there will be no difference. I'll stick to -p4 for that reason.
Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity, why am I getting the message about p5 if it doesn't apply? As a side note the processor I have in the system is an Intel I7.

Sorry, no idea -- I don't use freebsd-update but build from source. Maybe someone else knows the answer :)

Normally for the "-p" releases, I just do
Code:
# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install

The install may need to be done multiple times if multiple components are updated. The upgrade subcommand I normally only use for full and point releases.

In any case, it would be interesting to see what the output of freebsd-version -ku is. Two lines should be printed.

Normally for the "-p" releases, I just do
Code:
# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install

The install may need to be done multiple times if multiple components are updated. The upgrade subcommand I normally only use for full and point releases.

In any case, it would be interesting to see what the output of freebsd-version -ku is. Two lines should be printed.

Would freebsd-version -ky give me a different output then uname -a where it says that I'm running p4?

freebsd-version -ku gives you the version of the kernel ( -k) and user-land ( -u). I don't recall which uname -a gives you.

The kernel and userland are now on different patch levels. Nothing too worrisome.

Code:
jda@fletcher-4:/home/jda % freebsd-version -k
12.0-RELEASE-p4
jda@fletcher-4:/home/jda % freebsd-version -u
12.0-RELEASE-p5

jda

freebsd-version -k gave me: p4
freebsd-version -u gave me: p5

from what has been said, I'm assuming this means that the system is as it should be. Thanks for all the help :)

Just did it, seems all fine:

Code:
<root@besta>/home/slemke # freebsd-update fetch
(...)
The following files will be updated as part of updating to 12.0-RELEASE-p5:
/bin/freebsd-version
/usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
/usr/src/sys/i386/i386/initcpu.c

<root@besta>/home/slemke # freebsd-update install
Installing updates... done.

<root@besta>/home/slemke # uname -a
FreeBSD besta 12.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p4 GENERIC  amd64

<root@besta>/home/slemke # /bin/freebsd-version
12.0-RELEASE-p5

I really don't expect any feature or headache from this small bump.

Back