Other Updating final version of code using Subversion

I've never used Subversion before and, actually, I'm using svnlite in the base. Just this morning I quickly read through a tutorial and seem to have everything working. I created a directory at /www/drhoward with a do-nothing web page, imported it into a repository at /var/svn, created a working copy on the server at /www/test, made some changes, committed it and everything seemed to work as planned. The one thing I don't understand is how to update my committed code changes in the /www/drhoward directory? When I did svnlite commit nothing changed there.

Hi,

svnlite commit commits the changes to the repository in /var/svn.
In order to update the website in /www/drhoward, you need to svnlite checkout the repository there and then do a svnlite update.

See
3087570_orig.jpg

Yeah, I've done all that.

I am wondering if my problem is that I needed to make my original directory a working directory. iirc, I created the original repository from the existing directory but didn't do anything else. Does the original directory need to be added as a working directory? Then when commits are made from my working directory, I svn update that?

Hi,

The working copy is your checkout, however it was obtained. There's no need to tell the repository.

You just create the repository, check it out and then commit changes to it. If you want to have those changes on the web server, you have to checkout the repository there.

Better yet, use sftp to upload the files, i am not a fan of checking out repositories on the web server for security reasons.

You just create the repository, check it out and then commit changes to it. If you want to have those changes on the web server, you have to checkout the repository there.
I think I get it now and was doing it backwards. I'll try this again sometime later today. Thanks.

And that was the problem. I thought I only had to svnlite import the files into the repository and any changes in other checkouts would update that. I just had to create the repository and svnlite add files, then svnlite update to bring it all together.

And that was the problem. I thought I only had to svnlite import the files into the repository and any changes in other checkouts would update that.

Ah, no, the import source is no longer part of the game after the import. It's considered read-once write-never.

And that was the problem. I thought I only had to svnlite import the files into the repository and any changes in other checkouts would update that. I just had to create the repository and svnlite add files, then svnlite update to bring it all together.
I was waiting to see you mention svn[lite] add FILENAME_HERE & svn[lite] commit -m 'comment here' and lastly svn[lite] checkout.

While I use svnlite commands in ports and src, I use svn commands in other projects.

Back