Update existing installation with kernel.txz & base.txz

Nutz

Hello All !

i'm currently trying to update one of my Freebsd server to a new custom version.
From the server up to date, i created the base and kernel archive in .txz

So, after that, i just wanted to untar those two files directly on the server i needed to update.

And that's not went very well, server is updated, but its sounds like i lost some configurations. For example, it's now impossible to connect via ssh (ssh-key or password..) :d
(yeah, i know it's kind of dirty work, but i dont want to be gentle with test server ;))
Anyway, i just wanted to know if i have to use those archive only for a new installation and using mfsbsd to do it or if i can extract archive directly on the server with particular tar options.

Thanks !
N.

OP
OP
N

Nutz

hum okay, for testing purpose i thought it was a little bit "too much". but okay !
thanks for your answer !

have a great day.
N.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

There are only two supported ways to update/upgrade. The first is by doing a build(7) from source. The second is using freebsd-update(8). There's a third option, it's being worked on but not completed yet, called PkgBase.

OP
OP
N

Nutz

ok perfect, so i won't waste my time to dig why my first attempt was not working and i'll set up a server for freebsd-update could be useful anyway.
Thanks a lot!

Bye!