Unrealircd inside FreeBSD jail

Hi:

I am trying to deploy unrealircd inside one of my jails and I can't find much information (a guide or tutorial). It is even missing details in unrealircd website claiming it can run in FreeBSD 6 (old). I reached the point of compiling the port and configuring unrealircd.conf. But so far no idea on what to do next. Does anyone have an idea on where I can find one? All I can find is Russian websites in Google :). Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Like all services on FreeBSD you need to 'enable' it in rc.conf.

# echo "unrealircd_enable=\"YES\"" >> /etc/rc.conf

If you want to run it as a specific user
# echo "unrealircd_user=\"ircd\"" >> /etc/rc.conf

Then start unreal
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/unrealircd start

If your unrealircd.conf is ok, you are now able to connect. Unrealircd runs very stable on FreeBSD.

Keep in mind that you need to specifically bind a service to the jail's IP address or else it will listen on all addresses, including the host's and other jails' addresses.

SirDice said:
Keep in mind that you need to specifically bind a service to the jail's IP address or else it will listen on all addresses, including the host's and other jails' addresses.

Yes I know, I had to do that with mysql and sendmail, but thanks for reminding me. I am going to try @swa information. ;)

this is what I was missing:

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/unrealircd start

I tried /etc/rc.d/ but forgot to list /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ to locate the control script :e

Also had doubts about some flag needed like the ones for postgres but according to the replies seems no one is. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
halplus said:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/unrealircd start[/cmd]

I tried /etc/rc.d/ but forgot to list /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ to locate the control script :e
You can also use:
# service unrealircd start

SirDice said:
You can also use:
# service unrealircd start

But how do I know it is unrealircd? In other words how do I get the list of available services? Sorry if the question looks noob but I prefer that to ignorance ;).

In any case I think installation scripts could give a little hand to newcomers sysadmins. If I remember well MySQL, Postfix, Apache and/or Dovecot installation scripts help a lot with that telling you where to find configuration files and start/stop scripts. I mean that could improve success of people running services on top of FreeBSD and increase it's popularity. Just leaving some constructive criticism, I do appreciate all your help.

You can check which services are enabled # service -e. To list all files in /etc/rc.d and the local startup directories, run # service -l

See service(8) for more about options that can be handy.

Back