Unknown oid 'hw.acpi.thermal'

I was wondering what would be a possible reason to get the message unknown oid 'hw.acpi.thermal' as response to
sysctl hw.acpi.thermal...

I'm running FreeBSD 12 on a Xeon rig and ACPI running, so I expect to see also the thermals. But this is not the case. The thermals seem to be missing. What might be the reason? Can I control this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Seems that your motherboard, ACPI implementation and FreeBSD don't cooperate to give you temperatures as a sysctl. If you search this forum, you'll find that this is a common problem. Try two things: "sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi", to see what's there. And look in all of your dmesg boot output. This may be hard to debug or fix.

Hi ralphbsz,

Maybe some more information about my goal: the machine is a HP z820 desktop with 2 Xeon CPUs and the fans (CPU and chassis) are driving me mad. Under Windows/Linux the fans are much quieter. I know, that FreeBSD is inherently an excellent server platform. In addition to that I wanted to test its capabilities as a desktop workstation. So far there are some excellent results as in my Radeon RX 580 is supported and I can run Plasma, but there are also some challenges, such as the fan loudness. Before I throw in the towel, I'd like to try to fix the issue with the tools the OS provides. As such, I think that ACPI is the first pitstop. Since the man of acpi_thermal as well as searching for the specific issue ( unknown oid 'hw.acpi.thermal') got me nowhere, I decided to ask around.

There is a lot coming from the sysctl -a | grep hw.acpi command, but none of it contains "thermal".

Code:
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
hw.acpi.reset_video: 0
hw.acpi.handle_reboot: 1
hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot: 0
hw.acpi.verbose: 0
hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.standby_state: NONE
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S3
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5

rigoletto@, coretemp is loaded and I can use it to read the temperature of all cores. They are quite low actually (32-39°C). It is interesting to know about the temps. However my main challenge remains.

I'd be very interested in why acpi doesn't contain any thermal values and how I can debug it. Also, I'd be completely open to any other suggestions on how to reduce fan noise level while idle.

Cheers,
MYXOMOP

Back