Unable to start KDE plasma Wayland on FreeBSD

Developers (away from The FreeBSD Forums) do not yet have an explanation for this:

The wandering trader elgrande join me in Matrix, if you like. Links are in my profile.

I even have not installed sddm or Xorg.
Does plasma-wayland work for you?
It somehow worked at first using .xinitrc and startx to launch the desktop session, but I had a graphical bug after an update so I reverted to sddm/x11

Btw there are plasma6 already in latest, not sure if it's worth the try.

It somehow worked at first using .xinitrc and startx to launch the desktop session, but I had a graphical bug after an update so I reverted to sddm/x11

Btw there are plasma6 already in latest, not sure if it's worth the try.
This looks like a misunderstanding to me.
.xinitrc and startx does not look as Wayland at all.

At this point, I'm thinking of waiting until KDE 6 mega-release is in FreeBSD's ports before spinning up a VM and trying KDE with Wayland. I did pull off KDE 5 with Wayland a few years ago, following some dev blogs, but that was a house of cards that was difficult to reproduce and stabilize.

At this point, I'm thinking of waiting until KDE 6 mega-release is in FreeBSD's ports before spinning up a VM and trying KDE with Wayland. I did pull off KDE 5 with Wayland a few years ago, following some dev blogs, but that was a house of cards that was difficult to reproduce and stabilize.
I was impatient, but also could not get KDE 6 to start under Wayland… :-(

I was impatient, but also could not get KDE 6 to start under Wayland… :-(
I think that's because not everything is in ports yet... KDE 6 still needs to be released, then ported to FreeBSD. At this time, there are some premade iso's (Linux iso's that the KDE project spun up) that you can install in a VM. This is the only viable way I know of to try KDE 6 on Wayland...

Stuck here. Installed kde5 on FBSD 14.0, it automatically installed plasma5. DID NOT install Xorg, cannot start startplasma-wayland.
Was following a video, the guy enabled sddm, then I realised he was still using Xorg. Can anyone who claims to have run kde/plasma uccessfully using wayland (without Xorg) step forward and share their method? Please do not point us to manuals because we have tried ck-launch-session etc.. we are just missing one or two steps! Please step up.

Stuck here. Installed kde5 on FBSD 14.0, it automatically installed plasma5. DID NOT install Xorg, cannot start startplasma-wayland.
Was following a video, the guy enabled sddm, then I realised he was still using Xorg. Can anyone who claims to have run kde/plasma uccessfully using wayland (without Xorg) step forward and share their method? Please do not point us to manuals because we have tried ck-launch-session etc.. we are just missing one or two steps! Please step up.
Sorry, but you're stuck installing Xorg, and most importantly, Xwayland. Why do you think I succeeded in getting this screenie?
1708910296494.png

And yes, you will be pointed to the manual, and told to follow it sequentially, without skipping steps or doing steps out of order. This is how the community at FreeBSD Forums steps up.

astyle You think people haven't tried that (following the manual) already?
Following the manual will get you the results you're after. If someone messes up, that's because they didn't read the manual with the necessary level of attention or understanding. Lots of errors could be avoided or resolved with a careful reading of the manual.

If you read the manual carefully, you'd note the errors, when exactly they happen, etc. Just mindlessly watching YT videos is not gonna cut it.

Sorry, but you're stuck installing Xorg, and most importantly, Xwayland. Why do you think I succeeded in getting this screenie?
View attachment 18286

And yes, you will be pointed to the manual, and told to follow it sequentially, without skipping steps or doing steps out of order. This is how the community at FreeBSD Forums steps up.
That screenshot is from FreeBSD 13.1.
I recall KDE Wayland used to work earlier, but stopped to work at a certain point in time.

elgrande No, you are wrong, lying and are (even if you didn't mention it) "mindlessly watching YT videos" and not following manuals as per the truer and holier than thou responder above your post. Go and read the manual. Just because every other pkg works after 'pkg install' does not mean wayland too has to as well, after all, it is only for a select few who can put up screenshots of their success and imply other as being lazy. We all need to go and read how insecure and unsafe Xorg is and feel sad how we cannot use Wayland. Actually don't read the manual, because your attention and understanding too might get questioned.

elgrande No, you are wrong, lying and are (even if you didn't mention it) "mindlessly watching YT videos" and not following manuals as per the truer and holier than thou responder above your post. Go and read the manual. Just because every other pkg works after 'pkg install' does not mean wayland too has to as well, after all, it is only for a select few who can put up screenshots of their success and imply other as being lazy. We all need to go and read how insecure and unsafe Xorg is and feel sad how we cannot use Wayland. Actually don't read the manual, because your attention and understanding too might get questioned.
So, angry enough to even call out the wrong user? 🤣

That's exactly what it means to not pay attention.

On FreeBSD, Xorg is not specified as a dependency for KDE, that's why it was not installed.

Prove me wrong and actually pay attention to the manual, maybe? I got my results like that. Yeah, screenie is old, but it's still a picture of success, so maybe I'm on to something, hmm?. 😏

Back