Solved Unable to locally log in as root.

So, I have run into a slight issue. I am no longer able to log in as a root user locally on my bsd box. I have tried passwd, pw, and changed my login.config file to match the groups/classes, and, still no luck. The only way i can log in is through single user mode. I have not set up jails yet, because I am still looking for a few decent tutorials on them.

The pam error I am getting is pam_acct_mgmt auth error. I do not understand this error, as from what I am seeing I am one of the few to encounter this, any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Do you get any other error messages? Can you cut and paste the exact error message? Most likely, you already gave us all the information, with "pam_acct_mgmt auth" error.

Can you still su or sudo? You did set that up, like a good FreeBSD admin, right?

Please post the output of "ls -l" on the following files in /etc/: passwd, master.passwd, and groups. And then run "grep root" on all three files, and post the output here, HOWEVER PLEASE REMOVE THE ENCRYPTED PASSWORD from master.passwd: that's the part marked with "xxx" in the following example line, between the first and second ":"
Code:
root:xxx:0:0::0:0:House C. Superuser:/root:/bin/csh

Also post the output of "ls -l" and the content of the following files from directory /etc/pam.d: login, passwd and system. Don't worry, none of them contain passwords (neither cleartext nor encrypted).

Do you get any other error messages? Can you cut and paste the exact error message? Most likely, you already gave us all the information, with "pam_acct_mgmt auth" error.

Can you still su or sudo? You did set that up, like a good FreeBSD admin, right?

Please post the output of "ls -l" on the following files in /etc/: passwd, master.passwd, and groups. And then run "grep root" on all three files, and post the output here, HOWEVER PLEASE REMOVE THE ENCRYPTED PASSWORD from master.passwd: that's the part marked with "xxx" in the following example line, between the first and second ":"
Code:
root:xxx:0:0::0:0:House C. Superuser:/root:/bin/csh

Also post the output of "ls -l" and the content of the following files from directory /etc/pam.d: login, passwd and system. Don't worry, none of them contain passwords (neither cleartext nor encrypted).

I solved my issue, did a fresh install of bsd. Set all passwords to blowfish, 20. Didnt have too much on the box that it cannot be replaced. Thank you for the reply my friend.

Back