Unable to get fcitx5, fcitx5-configtool, zh-fcitx5-rime to work properly :(

I have the following environment variables set in my .bash_profile as recommended by the package description:
export XMODIFIERS='@im=fcitx'
export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx/xim
export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx

The fcitx5 is started through my .xinitrc file when I startx into xorg. 'ps' command also confirms that it's a running process. However...

Problem 1: fcitx5-configtool:

When I run fcitx5-configtool or fcitx5-config-qt, the gui application says:
fcitx5-1.png

I don't really understand why this is happening since fcitx5 is clearly running in the background. Initially I thought perhaps it might be dbus. Since I'm new to FreeBSD and this is my first install and I'm also using a WM and not a DE, I didn't add dbus_enable="YES" in my rc.conf as shown in the handbook for running gnome, kde, etc. So I added dbus_enable="YES", restarted but fcitx5-configtool is still saying fcitx5 is not running.

Now.... after clicking the [Run Fcitx5] button that was presented, the terminal shows fcitx5 loading its addons as well as a bunch of other messages, etc, but the fcitx5-configtool gui is completely blank (normally it should be showing all the current input methods, and the available input methods.
So at this point, I had to first click the Restore Defaults Button, followed by clicking the Reset button in order to get it to show what it was supposed to show at startup. The two pictures attached below shows what I described above:

fcitx5-2.png

fcitx5-3.png

So that's problem 1. I don't know why it's saying fcitx5 is not running when the process was already successfully running in the background via .xinitrc and startx. In addition, why is it not able to show the input methods UNTIL i restore defaults and reset? (it should just open the gui with these things presented to the user normally.)
In the terminal window (shown in picture), it showed error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is invalid or not set in the environment. Could this be the problem? I changed my default (sh) to (bash) and since I didn't find any example/default bash .bashrc or .bash_profile in freebsd, I just basically created them myself. .bashrc has nothing except: alias ls='ls --color=auto' to show color ls, and .bash_profile has nothing except the three exports for fcitx5:
export XMODIFIERS='@im=fcitx'
export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx/xim
export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx

Problem 2: zh-fcitx5-rime
So after i added rime to the current input method in the fcitx5-configtool gui, fcitx5 did work, but it's not showing the correct words when I type, because the primary luna_pinyin input method in rime isn't working properly. These lines are also from the terminal when fcitx5 was being started after i clicked the Run Fcitx5 button.

E20221019 19:59:49.577551 14753792 level_db.cc:277] Error opening db 'luna_pinyin': IO error: lock /home/rue/.local/share/fcitx5/rime/luna_pinyin.userdb/LOCK: Resource temporarily unavailable
E20221019 19:59:49.581617 14753792 level_db.cc:277] Error opening db 'luna_pinyin': IO error: lock /home/rue/.local/share/fcitx5/rime/luna_pinyin.userdb/LOCK: Resource temporarily unavailable
E20221019 19:59:49.585325 14753792 level_db.cc:277] Error opening db 'luna_pinyin': IO error: lock /home/rue/.local/share/fcitx5/rime/luna_pinyin.userdb/LOCK: Resource temporarily unavailable

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

why is this moved to the window manager sub-forum? 😓 fcitx is an application for input method for foreign languages. 🤓

Because it was misplaced in "Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages", this has nothing to do with installing or maintenance of the ports/packages themselves. It's about using and configuring a GUI application. Thought about moving it to "Multimedia/gaming" but it's out of place there too.

I have a page on Japanese in various Linux and BSD systems that may help. (And may not, it's for Japanese, not Chinese.) https://srobb.net/jpninpt.html

At any rate rather than use FreeBSD's fcitx-configtool, I usually run fcitx -d -r once, then get out of X and manually edit .config/fcitx/profile (I'm not using fcitx5, but I suspect it will work th same. Also I just have GTK_IMPUT_MODULE as fcitx not fcitx/xim. Don't know if that's important, because on some Linux installs I use in my .xinitrc
Code:
GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
at times when I haven't been able to get it to work with GTK_MODULE=fcitx.

thanks for the tip regarding 'fcitx -d -r' ;)

GTK_IM_MODULE=xim worked for gtk apps like firefox
fcitx5-configtool aside, the zh-fcitx5-rime which actually provides the chinese input for fcitx5 seems to have some issue in regards to the main input method: luna pinyin, which subsequently is causing completely different words to show up as you're typing on the screen.

Probably the result of fcitx5 unable to utilize luna pinyin so it's using one of the other input methods as a replacement for luna pinyin.

figured out the problem:
the 'zh- fcitx5-rime' package is missing the 'zh-rime-essay' package.
i installed it separately and that fixed the incorrect results from the luna-pinyin input method.

in archlinux this package is included in the librime-data package which is a dependency of librime, which is a dependency of fcitx5-rime.

Back