Solved unable to boot or install (probook 450 g1)

Edit: a user posted a solution, which was to enter eufi mode and to change the resolution with gop set
which can be done from 'escape to loader'
i personally used gop set 3

My laptop will not boot the freebsd installer (12.1 x64) properly

It is a HP probook 450 g1

What I have tried so far:

- trying freebsd 11.3, 11.1 and just 11
- restricting the vram to the smallest amount
- disabling all devices besides necessary ones, the ones the bios allowed me to disable, anyways
- disabling usb 3.0
- disabling cpu features such as multi core, vt-x and other security features
- testing my install media on another machine (works fine)
- testing another OS on this laptop, linux, windows etc, works fine

I apologize for the large photos
This is what happens with legacy boot, it does not make any progress and remains frozen here forever:

IMG_20200112_023428.jpg

So I tried booting with EUFI, both hybrid and native. hybrid yields the same results, but native gets me a little further before causing a larger issue. Screen corruption, which gets worse every second.
I appear to still be able to interact with settings on the installer but I can't read anything
IMG_20200112_024019.jpg

the messed up screen is caused by wrong default resolution specified in the bios. Boot using uefi mode, then escape to the boot prompt and change the resolution manually before continue to boot.
3. Escape to loader prompt
gop list
gop set #number#
boot (to boot default kernel)

after you the installation you need to set the gop mode in your /boot/loader.conf

the messed up screen is caused by wrong default resolution specified in the bios. Boot using uefi mode, then escape to the boot prompt and change the resolution manually before continue to boot.
3. Escape to loader prompt
gop list
gop set #number#
boot (to continue the boot)

after you the installation you need to set the gop mode in your /boot/loader.conf

I see, how odd. The default gop mdoe is the same as the native res of my display. anyways I changed it to one with an incorrect resolution, and the installer appears to be running without screen corruption now.

Thank you, i will edit my OP and include this solution when I get a chance!

Back