UEFI boot FAIL!

Dual boot complicates this even more. On Windows-specific systems, I'd suggest just leaving Windows on it and installing FreeBSD in VirtualBox. In effect, use Windows as a VM and driver host. Dual-booting off UEFI... well, it's surely possible, but I have not investigated it.

If you want to replace the machine, I'd suggest looking at Acer, Dell, and Toshiba (Acer-made) that are one or two CPU generations old. I recommend avoiding HP, Lenovo, and Asus for differing reasons. (Please start a new thread if you want to discuss that.)

Dual boot complicates this even more. On Windows-specific systems, I'd suggest just leaving Windows on it and installing FreeBSD in VirtualBox. In effect, use Windows as a VM and driver host. Dual-booting off UEFI... well, it's surely possible, but I have not investigated it.

Right now I am just trying to get BSD to boot on this laptop. Using BSD in a VM with Windows underneath would not be the best solution for me.

Funny, I've been hitting my head on the same issue. Except in my case, the motherboard doesn't see the UEFI system at all. I'm never presented with any option with booting unless I install FreeBSD the legacy way. I can boot from the CD and install it, but that's it.

The weird thing is that the UEFI install does work inside of VirtualBox and Linux EFI stuff works fine, so it's probably due to the way each vendor implements it. I have an Asus laptop and an ASRock motherboard. Someone did submit a bug report about it, but there have been no follow-ups on it.

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=195719

Funny, I've been hitting my head on the same issue. Except in my case, the motherboard doesn't see the UEFI system at all. I'm never presented with any option with booting unless I install FreeBSD the legacy way. I can boot from the CD and install it, but that's it.

The weird thing is that the UEFI install does work inside of VirtualBox and Linux EFI stuff works fine, so it's probably due to the way each vendor implements it. I have an Asus laptop and an ASRock motherboard. Someone did submit a bug report about it, but there have been no follow-ups on it.

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=195719

I'm guessing that you are dual booting?

I have never been able to install FreeBSD version 11 on any of my Dell Optiplex's (7010,7020,7040) in UEFI mode. Always hangs at the beastie logo.
I install using ZFS with GPT under legacy mode. After install, only way to boot UEFI is manually through the boot menu. Legacy boot always works.
There is definitely a bug in the FreeBSD boot loader. Every other Linux distro I have tried works fine.

Back