Solved Turning Office Jet to Monochrome

Hi All

My finance software (SQL Ledger) runs on a server with no GUI. It serves through Apache to desktops and uses lp for printing. So when I print an invoice it's not my desktop that is printing it's the backend server printing directly to the printer in my office.

I've got an OfficeJet9100 on the LAN in my office where the invoice comes out. Other employees have their own printers.

Here is my printcap entry:

Code:
OfficeJet:\
  :lp=9100OfficeJet:\
  :sh :\
  :mx#0:\
  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/officejet:\
  :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
  :if=/usr/local/libexec/ps2pcl:

It currently prints in color and I'd like to turn that off but only for the finance software.

The printer makes black characters by mixing the colored ink which maximizes the ink consumption and HP's profits at my expense.

Recently HP did a firmware upgrade and now the printer won't accept third party ink cartridges. I'm not impressed and won't buy another HP printer.

Can someone point me to a list or reference that shows me how to add a line to the printcap entry to force the printing in monochrome?

Right, sounds easy enough.

Here is my ps2pcl file:

Code:
#! /bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -q -sDEVICE=cdjcolor -sOutputFile=-

Any idea what I need to change that -sDEVICE to?

I tried mono but got multiple blank pages.

Bingo!

That worked, it not only prints in monochrome it's now only using the black ink cartridge, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks so much Covacat!

you can create another entry in printcap and use the original ps2pcl
then you have a color and a monochrome printer and can tell each program where to print according to your needs

Back