Turn your BSD into a router

Luckily, it seems that automatically PPPoE dialing is supported by the OS.

1534753749278.png

Luckily, it seems that automatically PPPoE dialing is supported by the OS.

I know for a fact that the ppp(8) in the base system does in fact work. When I had ADSL, that's what the service provider used to authenticate users. We were also given a free dialup account to use in case the DSL line went down. I had my firewall set to ping a random internet site from a list every few minutes to see if the ping passed or failed. If it failed, it would automatically go to the dialup. When the DSL came back up, I hooked into a ppp event with a script to terminate the dialup connection.

I am not sure why they wanted or needed PPPoE authentication because DSL is a hard wired connection which rides on top of land lines. It's not like they don't know who is paying for the line.

And for those who are interested, ADSL uses Dual Tone Modulation with 256 tone pairs at a frequency spread of 26KHz to 1.2MHz. I am not sure what VDSL/HDSL uses, but I think it might be similar, but a much higher top end frequency. Nowadays, AT&T is forcing people off DSL and onto U-Verse for their internet connection.

I am not sure why they wanted or needed PPPoE authentication
I have used this ISP service for at least 10 years. So the PPPoE was there ten year ago. And my ISP do not plan to upgrade the network devices within my home area. So the PPPoE still alive today.

The reason you might want to use MPD5 over native PPP is that PPP is a single threaded application. So that means you need fast core CPU. If you have fast PPPoE you might want to look into MPD5. It is a multithreaded application to get around the limitations of PPP.

Back