Other Turbo Memory Card

I recently took apart a ThinkPad X61 and was disappointed not to find a WWAN card inside, or rather no cables to fit to a WWAN, but wanting to make the most of the system, I found that the empty Mini PCI slot could use something called a Turbo Memory Card, and it just so happened that Crivens had on lying around, doing nothing, so he let me have it. (Many thanks Crivens, much appreciate it).

Unsurprisingly, I stuck it in my system and nothing happened, but running pciconf -lv revealed:-

Code:
none0@pci0:2:0:0:       class=0x058000 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x444e subvendor=0x8086 subdevice=0x444e
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Turbo Memory Controller'
    class      = memory

So the hunt starts for a driver for this device....

Apparently there is some development for an MTD driver in Linux
https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linuxdsp/docs/linux-kernel-and-drivers/mtd/mtd

Not sure if this could be ported to FreeBSD...

I had to look it up. I doubt anyone is willing to port it, it seems it's something that doesn't appear to improve anything at all. So lots of work/expense for little to no gain. It's 15 year old technology that never took off and nobody uses any more.

A review in AnandTech largely concurred with some OEM criticism finding that "it basically does nothing for the user experience".[13] HP refused to use the technology.[14] Ars Technica wrote in 2009 that Turbo Memory "never took off",[15] and CNET similarly pronounced that it was "never widely adopted",[16] because "Turbo Memory (and Turbo Memory 2.0) wasn't cheap, and it definitely wasn't worth the cost."[17]

Back