Solved Trying to install FreeBSD 13.0 on Macbook Pro 2016

Hi, this is my first post here and it's the first time I tried to install FreeBSD.

I am trying to install FreeBSD 13.0 on my old macbook pro following the FreeBSD Handbook. I partitioned the internal SSD of my macbook to
contain the FreeBSD installation without losing macOS. Downloaded img file and wrote it into a usb stick. And everything was fine until
Allocating Disk Space. It seems that the internal SSD of my macbook is not detected since da0 is the only-displayed device name, which
I believe is my usb stick.
I don't have much knowledge about hardware now. Hope someone can give me some help.
Thanks.

You may find it easier to install FreeBSD in a VM using the free (for personal use) VMware Fusion Player or the open source VirtualBox.

You may find it easier to install FreeBSD in a VM using the free (for personal use) VMware Fusion Player or the open source VirtualBox.
But if it's possible, I don't want to install it on a VM, I want two OSes on my machine.

I don't believe that there's a driver for the internal SSD.

If you don't want to use a VM, then you will need an external drive and if an SSD which may be a whole other crapshoot. I should add here that my experience has been with Mac minis from 2007 through 2018 and not MacBooks. Whether your MacBook can be booted from an external SSD may well depend on the external case used which will require detailed research. Note that booting from an external SSD is not a FreeBSD-specific issue, it applies to any operating system including macOS.

As I said before, you may find it easier to install FreeBSD in a VM.

I don't believe that there's a driver for the internal SSD.

If you don't want to use a VM, then you will need an external drive and if an SSD which may be a whole other crapshoot. I should add here that my experience has been with Mac minis from 2007 through 2018 and not MacBooks. Whether your MacBook can be booted from an external SSD may well depend on the external case used which will require detailed research. Note that booting from an external SSD is not a FreeBSD-specific issue, it applies to any operating system including macOS.

As I said before, you may find it easier to install FreeBSD in a VM.
Yeah, I successfully installed it on an external hard disk drive and booted from it.

… installed it on an external hard disk drive and booted …

Thanks, can you share the result of a probe?
  1. prepare to probe, pkg install -y sysutils/hw-probe sysutils/hwstat sysutils/lsblk sysutils/pciutils sysutils/usbutils
  2. probe and upload the result, hw-probe -all -upload

1. prepare to probe, pkg install -y sysutils/hw-probe sysutils/hwstat sysutils/lsblk sysutils/pciutils sysutils/usbutils
pkg doesn't work. I guess the network card was not detected or some other reasons. During installation, when the Network Configuration dialog popped out, it said "No interface specified for IPv4 configuration", same for IPv6.
IMG_0780.jpg

I successfully installed FreeBSD release 13.0 on a Seagate HDD and booted, needed to change the fstab file though. Here is the probe result: https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=0bf74dea55

Back