Troubleshooting docker info and discourse

NuLL3rr0r

I've been trying to install Discourse on a FreeBSD VM without any success.

According to discourse installation guide the only supported platform is Docker, although it is possible to install it without Docker. Since I have to install two Discourse instance, going without Docker is not an option (Yes, I know there is jail but the discourse bundled web-based GUI for updating won't work without Docker which is a pain in the butt).

I followed this guide on FreeBSD wiki:

$ cd /usr/ports/sysutils/docker-freebsd
$ make config-recursive
$ make install clean

$ kldload zfs
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/local/dockerfs bs=1024K count=4000
$ zpool create -f zroot /usr/local/dockerfs
$ zfs list
$ zpool list
$ zfs create -o mountpoint=/usr/docker zroot/docker
$ service docker onestart
$ ps auxw | grep docker

But, upon bootstraping Discourse:
$ bash launcher bootstrap app

I get the following error

Code:
Cannot connect to the docker daemon - verify it is running and you have access
I investigated the bootstrap script:

Code:
  # 1. docker daemon running?
  # we send stderr to /dev/null cause we don't care about warnings,
  # it usually complains about swap which does not matter
  test=`$docker_path info 2> /dev/null`
  if [[ $? -ne 0 ]] ; then
  echo "Cannot connect to the docker daemon - verify it is running and you have access"
  exit 1
  fi
And, tried the following command on csh/bash prompt:
$ docker info

Which outputs the following:
Code:
Get http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.19/info: EOF. Are you trying to connect to a TLS-enabled daemon without TLS?
I also checked if I have ca_root_nss installed, and it was there.

So, does anyone knows why docker info fails?

priyadarshan

You could look into this, or you could install docker on bhyve running a linux guest.

In that way you would have the latest version of docker, too.

priyadarshan

Nice, thank you for the How-To guide.

Perhaps you could consider publishing on this Forums as well (Howtos and FAQs section), as it can be quite handy.

OP
OP
NuLL3rr0r

NuLL3rr0r

Sorry for my tardy reply, been busy with my TOEFL iBT exam.

Well, I would like too. But, unfortunately I'm giving up on Discourse as a comment system for various reasons. For example, I just realized out of a sudden it duplicates my posts and creates a new thread for each post which means it won't show previous comments. Furthermore, it's a memory hog (perhaps RoR faults). I believe it's too heavy for such a small task such as a comment system. A small comment system in Go Lang would be nice. I may start implementing my own comment system as I did with my subscription system because I wasn't satisfied with the current ones. Last but not least, I do not want to deal with building Ruby Gems which is a tedious task in case they fail to build.

Anyway I updated that posts with a few pitfalls and their solutions on FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE. Perhaps you can ask the moderators and maintain a guide on Discourse if you would like, too. I'll be glad to use that as a basis for your Howto/Guide.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NuLL3rr0r

NuLL3rr0r

Thank you so much @jukadan. Even though it's at 0.3 version, it looks so nice. I must give it a try.

Btw, I probably move away from Hexo, too. I benchmarked Hugo and it's blazing fast. Octopress (my original blog generation engine) took approximately 8 minutes to generate the blog (that's why I migrated to Hexo). Hexo takes ~8 seconds to generate the same contents. Hugo does that in milliseconds. The only thing I miss from Hexo which Hugo lacks is the Post Asset Folder feature. When it comes to feature vs performance I always go with the performance.

I must admit however, I'm a bit fanatic when it comes to native languages such as C, C++, D, Rust and Go and their performance. Hopefully, many people started moving to native languages for their web-related FLOSS projects. e.g. Hugo, Gogs (compare it to GitLab), ... Regarding Node.js usage in the blog subscription system (C++), it only gets pulled-in by CMake at compile time for converting SASS to CSS and HTML/JS/CSS optimization by Gulp at compile time (yes, no native tool comparable to Grunt or Gulp). There is no need for that at run-time.

hukadan

Well, it is even simpler. You just need to install www/npm2, it will pull all the dependencies you need (Edit : except for database dependencies). To be complete, I also propose a non official package. It needs some polishing though. I will update it to the latest version of NodeBB (v1.2.0 released this week-end) later this week.

TomHsiung

Thanks for the answer. Actually I solved the issue and there is no need for docker now.

BTW, I wrote that guide on installing Discourse on FreeBSD without Docker.
Hi,

Where is the guide for installing Discourse without Docker on FreeBSD you had written? Thanks.