Trouble upgrading FreeBSD 12.0 to 12.1

Hello,

Trying to upgrade a FreeBSD server from version 12.0 to 12.1. Have done this before on others but am getting stuck on this one. Ran the freebsd-update -r 12.1-RELEASE command as root. it checked my system and then went through several minutes of downloading and merging things. I thought it was going to complete but suddenly it came to a place where it said that the /var/db/locate.databasefile had been modified locally and it appears to have stopped. Nothing after that. It was waiting at a message ending with (END). I tried several things and finally did a CTRL Z and it let me out to an active prompt and says that the job is now suspended. I have searched the Web and the forums but have not found an answer. I think I must be missing a very simple and obvious thing here but cannot figure it out. Have any tips for me.

Thank you,

Clint Bridges
Moses Lake WA

Hello,

Trying to upgrade a FreeBSD server from version 12.0 to 12.1. Have done this before on others but am getting stuck on this one. Ran the freebsd-update -r 12.1-RELEASE command as root. it checked my system and then went through several minutes of downloading and merging things. I thought it was going to complete but suddenly it came to a place where it said that the /var/db/locate.databasefile had been modified locally and it appears to have stopped. Nothing after that. It was waiting at a message ending with (END). I tried several things and finally did a CTRL Z and it let me out to an active prompt and says that the job is now suspended. I have searched the Web and the forums but have not found an answer. I think I must be missing a very simple and obvious thing here but cannot figure it out. Have any tips for me.

Thank you,

Clint Bridges
Moses Lake WA
Try again and when you see the : sign, press q. I got the solution here.

Don't think anyone explained why this happened; it still trips me up as I switch between FreeBSD 11.x and FreeBSD 12.x systems.

I think I'm right it saying it was down to this:

The default PAGER now defaults to less(1) for most commands. [r337497]

Probably not directly applicable to your situation if you started on 12.0. But not just freebsd-update - there are other programs that will use the same PAGER.

Back