Trouble installing enlightenment libraries

Hi everyone. I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to install enlightenment on my notebook with a fresh install of FreeBSD.

First off, I'm new. I have a few years of Linux experience, but never did anything serious and never cared enough to learn how to really use it. I finally decided to learn something and went to BSD. I installed FreeBSD 8.1 on my laptop (HP 6710b) a few days ago and now I'm trying to build E17 libraries from source. I successfully installed eina-1.0.0 but am now unable to continue with eet.

The problem are the jpeglib headers, when at first autogen.sh complained about not finding the jpeglib.h headers. I get this error:
Code:
configure: error: "Cannot find jpeglib.h. Make sure your CFLAGS environment variable contains include lines for the location of this file."

I found somewhere that setting CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf to -I/usr/local/include and LDFLAGS to -L/something_that_i_forgot should solve the problem, however it did absolutely nothing. Setting CFLAGS with
Code:
export CFLAGS=/usr/local/include
does change things. The C compiler suddenly stops working with error:
Code:
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
It doesn't get stuck on jpeglib though...

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem and build enlightenment from source? Using ports and packages is something I would like to avoid if possible.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Avoiding using ports and packages basically means you won't use FreeBSD, really.

Using ports and packages is something I would like to avoid if possible.
Well, you will need a year about to set up the computer, if you made it!
Also I think that DutchDaemon have absolutely right! And using ports, you compile from source! Just you don't need to fetch and build all dependencies manually one by one with your hands! And into a port, make config before make install clean is one of the things that makes FreeBSD just great! I don't understand why to set flags with the hard way when you can just press space to choose them!
If you want enlightenment this is the way to get it:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/enlightenment
make config
make install clean
I finally decided to learn something and went to BSD
The smart and right way is to read the handbook and install your system according this. The truth is that I learned to setup FreeBSD and never read it. But now a lot of times, I go and read sections because is extremely usefull and helps me a lot to understand things and fix mistakes. From my enthusiasm to use FreeBSD, I learned FreeBSD with the wrong way and now I try to understand it from begining right. Don't make the same mistake! Before do anything read the handbook very carefully!

nocnashada said:
Any suggestions on how to solve this problem and build enlightenment from source? Using ports and packages is something I would like to avoid if possible.

Using ports is building from source, just with the patches supplied by someone who has made it work (the maintainer).

OK, an update: managed to fix up that cflags stuff with a howto:build_e17_from_source guide I found on google. That works. Found out that the release version of EFL has another problem. That still doesn't.

Anyway: the handbook. Yes, I did read it. Not the whole thing, but I read those intro chapters up to setting up the window manager. It's excellent, I admit, and using ports or packages seems like the logical thing to do, but I didn't want to. It's really just sentimental reasons - I'm fed up with solutions that involve a click or a short phrase and everything solves itself and I'm left wondering what the hell just happened and why I know absolutely nothing about it.

Since nothing works, sure I gave it a try again(first time was on another computer where it worked like a charm...), but i stumble into problems there as well.

TL;DR: Not even ports work. This is the error I get:
http://nopaste.info/971e9a28da.html

Is it because of previous building of EFL libraries?

Basically, if you want to install some program on POSIX compatible OS, you'd

- Download the program source
- Download the dependencies
- Apply specific OS patches to all sources, if any
- Configure, compile, install dependencies
- Configure, compile, install the program

I don't see what do you want to learn there? Running wget to fetch the source, running configure with flags to configure the package?

There is something to learn about source compilation and installation, but you'll learn that stuff with ports too, because ports just automatizes the process, keeps track of dependencies, provides patches (some programs just won't compile on FreeBSD from their vanilla source, you need to patch them first), configures compilation and compiles/installs the package. Updates are seamless and you can remove / downgrade versions via one command.

nocnashada said:
It's excellent, I admit, and using ports or packages seems like the logical thing to do, but I didn't want to.
This will mean that you'll have a hard time updating anything since you now have to keep track of the dependency chain. There's no easy or consistent way to find out what versions you have installed too. This is all taken care of when using ports (packages are basically just precompiled ports).

It's really just sentimental reasons - I'm fed up with solutions that involve a click or a short phrase and everything solves itself and I'm left wondering what the hell just happened and why I know absolutely nothing about it.
Trust me, even if you use ports/packages you will run into problems someday. But the ports make life in general just so much easier.

TL;DR: Not even ports work. This is the error I get:
http://nopaste.info/971e9a28da.html

Is it because of previous building of EFL libraries?
Most likely. A lot of work has been done to make sure ports are build correctly. This ranges from patches to get it compiled to enabling specific options that are needed.

Your best bet is to start over with a clean slate.

Another update is in order I think. I have made a complete reinstall of FreeBSD 8.1 and concentrated on installing E17 from ports, which worked this time. It seems that manual building of official sources did indeed clog up the computer so that installing from ports didn't work anymore.

Well it works now and that's what matters :)

Thank you all for replying and helping me :)

Cheers!

Back